The Villainy of Galrath
From Guild Wars Wiki
|The Villainy of Galrath|
|Given by|| Firstwatch Sergio |
in Lion's Arch
|Followed by||The Villainy of Galrath (Hard mode)|
(Click to enlarge)
- Seek out Galrath at the wizard's tower in Kessex Peak. Put an end to his villainy.
- Return to Firstwatch Sergio for your reward.
- 4,000 Experience
- Cruel Staff
- Long Sword
- Starting from The Temple of the Ages (in order to have a maximum party size of 8) head south through The Black Curtain towards Kessex Peak. You will immediately encounter a group of Reed Stalkers. After defeating the Stalkers follow the path leading to the southeast, making sure to avoid the poisonous water whenever possible. You will soon come upon a Damned Cleric, who once aggroed will be accompanied by Smoke Phantoms and a Wraith. Be sure to dispatch these foes quickly because a group of Hellhounds and a Necrid Horseman will be patrolling the area.
- Continue following the path to the southeast, making sure to watch for more Undead, until you come to a three-way intersection. Take the southern path where you will soon run out of land and be forced to head west to circle around the poisonous swamp. You will encounter a group of Ancient Oakheart as well as the Tree of Judgment, some Bog Skale Blighters and the occasional Spined Aloe.
- When you come upon a path follow it to the east, being sure to cross over the bridge to avoid the fetid water. You will come upon another group of Reed Stalkers as well as several Forest Minotaurs. Continue heading east until you reach the portal to Kessex Peak.
- In Kessex Peak, continue south, passing over the next bridge where you will encounter some Fog Nightmares and more Reed Stalkers. After dispatching the monsters turn towards the southwest and follow the canyon towards the Krytan coast. Be sure to watch out for Nightmares and Aloes that will pop out of the ground while you fight the Reed Stalkers that patrol the canyon.
- Once you reach the end of the canyon turn south on the nearby path. Fen Trolls will be patrolling the path along with Ancient Oakhearts, and Forest Minotaurs. The Trolls and Minotaurs have very large patrol areas, so be especially careful not to find yourself stuck between two groups of enemies. When you come to the area where there are about 20 of them guarding the path, study their pattern of movement and aggro them from the north, one group at a time. Continue to follow the path to the southwest until you come to a floating castle. Head east until you come to a path leading up to where Galrath and his bandits are waiting.
- You will find large groups of Verata the Necromancer's undead minions blocking your path. Be careful to only aggro one group at a time; dispatching Verata's army is not easy and aggroing more than one group means almost certain death for lower-level groups or henchmen. If players or henchmen have obtained a high death penalty it may be very difficult to kill even one group. If this happens, it is possible with the right timing to slip past the undead and engage Galrath and his bandits. The Apprentices of Verata will spawn Bone Fiends so a Necromancer with corpse exploitation skills of their own can be very useful. A minion master may not be the best however, as the Apprentices will use Verata's Gaze to steal your minions. After defeating the undead, head west and kill the bandits before taking on Galrath himself.
- Once you have killed Galrath, simply map travel to Lion's Arch and see Sergio for your reward.
- The path to take that lets you take on the surrounding monsters in smaller groups is; once you get to the main area, follow the northern edge, west to east, then south along the eastern edge. This path will also aid you if you are working on the cartographer title.
- Draw out some of the groups from the plateau area, and your task of ultimately taking out Galrath may be slightly easier.
- 11 (24) Bandit
- 20 (29) Galrath
- "Galrath must be stopped! If he gains whatever secrets are locked within the wizard's tower in Kessex Peak, gods be merciful, I know not who to trust within the Lionguard. So many I thought beyond reproach are still loyal to him. I need an outsider to find Galrath and put an end to his villainy. You are the only one who has a chance of defeating him."
- "The people of Kryta may finally sleep easy, knowing Galrath will never return to do them harm again."
- This quest is easiest to complete if your team leaves from the Temple of the Ages: the path is the shortest possible, you can avoid some foes, and your party size can be up to 8 characters (also, in Normal mode, the henchmen are level 15 instead of level 11 as they would be in other nearby outposts).
- The Long Sword which is given as a reward has a 10% furious mod which can be salvaged.
- You do not need to kill every bandit to complete the quest, although it does make it easier to kill Galrath.
- Bringing Frozen Soil can help to suppress resurrection by White Mantle foes if the War in Kryta is active.
- This quest was one of the first quests implemented into the game and is internally quest number 1.