- This article is about Nightfall chests. For Eye of the North NPCs revealed by the Light of Deldrimor, see Hidden Treasure.
Opening treasure yields both a single item (dropped on the ground) and some gold (added directly to your character's inventory). The item will be either a weapon or a salvage item (of gold or purple rarity), or a gem (diamond, ruby or sapphire). As with other loot, the drops are more valuable in the areas further into the story. The initial cash value ranges from about 500 in Istan to 3,000 in the Realm of Torment. A player might expect to receive 20 on the first few times they open every treasure. The drop quality however decreases on subsequent openings; see Notes for more information.
Locations of all treasure
|Region||Buried Treasure||Do Not Touch||Treasure Chest||Initial gold|
|Istan||Issnur Isles||Mehtani Keys||500|
|Kourna||Arkjok Ward||Bahdok Caverns||Jahai Bluffs||1,000|
|Vabbi||The Mirror of Lyss||Forum Highlands||The Hidden City of Ahdashim||2,000|
|The Desolation||The Ruptured Heart||The Sulfurous Wastes||2,000|
|Realm of Torment||Domain of Pain||3,000|
- Treasures are always unlocked. Neither keys nor lockpicks are required.
- Treasures labeled Do Not Touch often are guarded by several hidden Immolated or Ruby Djinn that will popup when the treasure is opened. Spread your party out before opening to avoid their dangerous area of effect skills.
- Treasure quality
Treasure quality is the amount of cash and the chance of getting a gold item. The factors governing quality are not entirely understood; however, the following properties have been well documented:
- Cash values are linked to the rarity of items found: purple items are found with about ⅔ the cash of that found with gold items.
- Quality decreases permanently for a character each time they reveal any treasure.
- The lower cash limits appears to be as little as 100 in Istan and 700 in the Realm of Torment, or around 20% of the original value on average once the scaling reaches its lowest point.
- Scaling of the rewards only kicks in after a particular number of treasures (significantly more than three) have been revealed, and levels out after another number of the treasures have been opened.
- As a rule of thumb, in the beginning all weapon and salvage item drops are gold rarity, and once the minimum treasure quality has been reached all are purple.
- Hard mode does not appear to affect the values.
- Treasure availability
Each character can receive loot only once during a certain period, believed to be around 30 days per treasure. Opening the chest too soon means that there will be no treasure; some evidence suggests that this resets the waiting period.