- For other uses, see Chest (disambiguation).
A chest is an interactive object which, when used, drops items for members of the party to pick up. This can be random loot or items required for a quest. Chests can be classified mainly into two types; locked and unlocked. Locked chests require a key or lockpick to unlock and drop uncommon or rare loot for the individual which opened the chest. Unlocked chests are mostly used for retrieving quest items or elite mission rewards, and are found through the game with various appearances and purposes.
- 1 Locked chests
- 2 Unlocked chests
- 3 Notes
- 4 Trivia
- Regional names: chests found in Normal mode are named after the region in which they are found, in Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall; they can be opened by a corresponding key or a lockpick. For example, a Vabbian Key can open the Vabbi Chests found in Vabbi.
- Locked Chests: chests found in Eye of the North areas, and in all regions in Hard mode, are always called Locked Chests regardless of the region and always require a Lockpick.
- Each chest in an instance can only be opened once per individual.
- Once every player character has opened a chest, it will display as an open lid.
- When opened, chest contents are dropped on the ground, assigned to the character who opened the chest.
- The loot can be a skill tome, weapon, or salvage armor. The weapon or salvage armor will be one that can also be dropped by a foe near that chest.
- The rarity of the item is tied to the value of the key that opens it: 80 keys never return gold (i.e. rare) items, 600 keys tend to release max weapons, and Locked Chests in Hard mode are the most likely to drop gold items.
- Opening a chest that requires a Lockpick or a key worth at least 600 contributes one point to the Treasure Hunter title track.
- Locked chests spawn when a player enters a zone.
- Chests can also spawn after triggering a quest-related popup, e.g. after a new wave of foes or a dungeon end-chest appears.
- Chests spawn within a radius centered on a specific spot within the zone; they can spawn anywhere within that radius (including behind a portal).
- Up to five chests can spawn in a zone, although some zones will never have more than one.
- Chests never spawn immediately near the party's entry point on the map.
- Chests that appear unguarded are a good indication that popup foes might trigger when approached.
List of locked chests
Chests marked in gold count towards the Treasure Hunter title track.
Unlocked chests are those that do not need a key to open them.
Generic unlocked chests
In pre-Searing Ascalon and Ascalon there are some chest-like items that a player can click on. They return a number of white items or gold coins. These items are randomly assigned to a party member within compass range, including henchmen and heroes. To ensure that drops are assigned to a player character, flag any henchmen and heroes out of compass range before opening it.
- Hidden Stash in pre-Searing Ascalon.
- Wreckage in the Great Northern Wall mission.
- Wrecked Catapult in the Fort Ranik mission.
Quest and mission item chests
- Quest chests
Put in to facilitate retrieving items required to complete a quest. When the chest is opened it (typically) drops sufficient quest items for the party to each have the necessary quest item to complete the quest.
Chest name Location Requirements Chest Lakeside County Permanent feature, but only used for a quest. Chest Gates of Kryta Holds Orrian Text quest bonus item. Chest Barbarous Shore Holds the item Preserved Red Iris Flower which, when given to Gwen, will allow access to the Fire and Pain quest. Corsair Chest Plains of Jarin Holds the item Notched Sword, an item needed in order to complete the quest Proof of Courage. Only appears when this quest is active. Old Chest Wajjun Bazaar It holds the Tattered Bear, an item needed in order to complete the quest Little Lost Bear. Chest Alcazia Tangle Holds the Grimoire Arcanum book, which is required in order to complete the quest Turning the Page.
- Mission chests
Chests of which the content is required to complete a mission or dungeon. When the chest is opened it drops an item for the party to progress a mission or dungeon.
Chest name Location Contents Chest (various) Raven's Point Contains an Unlit Torch Chest (various) Shards of Orr Contains an Unlit Torch
Quest and mission reward chests
Quest and mission reward chests after completing a quest or mission. They fall into two categories: those that drop a single item, randomly assigned to a single party member and those that each player can open once (and any resulting drops are assigned to that player).
Single item, random assignment
These chests contain purple items that are randomly assigned to a party member within compass range, including henchmen and heroes. To ensure that drops are assigned to a player character, flag any henchmen and heroes out of compass range before opening it.
Chest name Location Requirements Chest The Fissure of Woe Complete Tower of Courage
Complete Defend the Temple of War
Chest Sorrow's Furnace Spawned 3 times during Kilroy Stonekin. Drops 2 or 3 items. Chest The Underworld Spawned the first time a quest is completed for a given Reaper
Quest-end reward chests
These chests drop items assigned to each player that opens them.
Chest name Location Requirements Chest of Woe The Fissure of Woe Complete all quests in the Fissure of Woe Underworld Chest The Underworld Complete all quests in the Underworld Chest The Hall of Heroes Win a match in the Hall of Heroes Wintersday Chest Secret Lair of the Snowmen Wintersday only:
Complete Straight to the Heart or the Strength of Snow
Chest name Location After defeating... Urgoz's Chest Urgoz's Warren Urgoz Kanaxai's Chest The Deep Kanaxai
- Dungeon reward chests
Throughout Nightfall there are several places where unlocked chest or chest-like objects are found. They reward the player with a large pile of gold and a good weapon or a gem. See Treasure for more information on the location and content of these chests.
In Dungeons, one can find Hidden Treasure with Light of Deldrimor. They contain either gold, a Lockpick, a Dungeon Map or rare crafting materials for each party members. Like Storage chests, while they look like chests, they are actually NPCs.