In Guild Wars, a popup is a foe (often an entire group) which is initially hidden, only spawning after a trigger condition (usually, entering aggro range) is met. Insects, plants, nightmares, and even some human groups frequently appear as popups.
The term comes from the fact that nearly all of the popups in Prophecies literally crawled out of the ground to attack you, hidden tree-lurking Spiders being the only exception. Subsequent expansions added more "fall-down" popups; descending from ropes is a favorite of several human groups in Factions, who sometimes even employ pincer tactics.
Common popup enemies
- The Afflicted (swarm out of open pits)
- Am Fah members (from the rooftops in Kaineng City)
- Jade Brotherhood members (from the rooftops in Kaineng City)
- Kappa (along coastlines)
- Luxon invaders (from the trees in Echovald Forest)
- Naga (along coastlines)
- Skelks (in the Depths of Tyria)
- Sprout-type Plants
- Torment Claws
- Wardens (in Drazach Thicket and explorables beyond Vasburg Armory)
- As a general rule of thumb, if you come to an uncleared section of an explorable area or mission that seems abnormally devoid of enemies, there is a good chance you will encounter popups.
- Popups are not required to be killed for vanquishing an area as long as they do not appear in compass range. However, once triggered, they must be killed in order to complete the vanquishing, even if they disappear again (Wurms, Worms and Salving Cactus mainly).