| Paragon skills|
|Categories|| Skill feedback|
 The Paragon
The paragon has always been quite a strange profession to play with, being either very powerful or very weak but hardly any balance. Being a supportive profession primarily if suits the role best as damage mitigation and offensive support and still being able to do damage but the options for that are very limited because only a few skills and combination are actually useful. Another problem with it is balancing it's skills properly wich is a very difficult thing atm due to how chants and echos currently work and them being unable to be removed once aplied.
To make the paragon a more stable profession and a more playable one i suggest a function change to chants and echoes.
- Chants: affect either party members or all allies, always earshot range, no effect on summoned creatures, a 1 second casting time with an aftercast delay, only 1 chant can be active on a character at any time.
- Echoes: On activation it is always applied on you first with no effect for 15 seconds, on use of a chant or shout it is applied on the party members in earshot, it has a 1 second casting time, always a cooldown of 15 seconds. Only 1 echo can be on a character, a new echo overrides the older echo.
To be able to balance these skills better having skills that can counter or remove Chants and Echoes would be needed as well. Already having spells that interrupt spells and chants having enchantment removal skills also remove chants would be an option. Also an option for a counter is to have the dazed condition and other skills that affect spell casting time include Chants.
- Pvp version 4 4 Shout (10 seconds). Allies in earshot have 30...66...75% chance to block the next incoming attack.
- Pvp version 10 15 Shout (10 seconds). Target party member inflicts cracked armor and deep wound condition (2...8...10 seconds) with it's next attack.
- Pvp version 10 1 15 Chant (10 seconds). Target ally interrupts an action with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
Anthem of Envy 6 1 Chant (10 seconds). Target ally has +1...12...15% change to critical hit. Target ally deals 5...41...50 damage to foes adjacent to it's target with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
- Pvp version 6 1 Chant (10 seconds). Target ally deals +5...25...30 damage to foes adjacent to it's target with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
- Pvp version 5 1 10 Chant (10 seconds). Target ally inflicts burning condition (1...3...3 second[s]) with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
Anthem of Fury 10 1 15 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally gains +25% more adrenaline for it's attacks. Target ally's next 1...3...3 attack skills activate 50% faster and give 1...3...3 strike[s] of adrenaline.
- Pvp version 10 1 15 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally gains 1...3...4 strike[s] of adrenaline with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
Anthem of Guidance 5 1 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally has +10...22...25% armor penetration with it's attacks. Target ally deals +5...17...20 damage and is unblockable with it's next 1...3...3 attack skills.
- Pvp version 5 1 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally has +10...22...25% armor penetration and is unblockable with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
- Pvp version 5 1 10 Chant (10 seconds). Target ally inflict weakness condition (3...13...15 seconds) with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
Blazing Finale 5 1 15 Echo. Deals 20...68...80 fire damage and inflicts burning condition (1...4...5 second[s]) to all foes adjacent to your party members in earshot the next time you use a shout or chant.
Crippling Anthem 5 1 15 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally inflict bleeding condition with it's attacks (5...17...20 seconds). Target ally inflict crippled condition (3...10...12 second[s]) to it's target and deals 5...41...50 piercing damage to foes adjacent to it's target with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
- Pvp version 5 1 15 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally inflicts bleeding condition and crippled condition (2...8...10 seconds) with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
- Pvp version 6 1 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally cannot be interrupted and cannot miss with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
- Pvp version 6 1 Chant (10 seconds). Target ally gains 1...3...4 energy with it's next 1...3...3 attack skill[s].
- For each rank of Leadership you gain 2 energy for each ally affected by one of your shouts or chants (maximum 1 Energy for every 2 ranks). While in PvE allies are healed for 1 whenever they are affected by your shouts or chants (maximum of 50 health every 15 seconds).
- Pvp version 4 4 Elite Shout (10 seconds). All other allies in earshot gain 0...40...50% damage reduction for the next time they take damage.
Angelic Bond 10 1 30 Elite Skill (20 seconds). All other party members within earshot of your location have 0...24...30 damage they take converted into healing while under the effect of a shout or chant.
Burning Shield 5 10 Skill (5...10...11 seconds). Blocks the next attack against you. Block effect: causes a knock down and inflicts burning condition (1...5...6 seconds) to all adjacent attacking foes. No effect unless you have a shield equiped.
- Pvp version 5 15 Stance (2...8...10 seconds). You attack 25% faster. You attack 33% faster if you are not enchanted.
- Pvp version 4 4 Shout (10 seconds). The next spell used by allies in earshot has 30...66...75% chance to activate 25% faster.
- Pvp version 10 15 Shout (10 seconds). The next spell used by target party member recharges 10...22...25% faster.
- Pvp version 4 4 Elite Shout (10 seconds). The next spell used by allies in earshot has +1...3...3 attribute points.
- Pvp version 6 1 10 Chant (10 seconds). The next time party members in earshot take damage they are healed for 15...43...50.
- Pvp version 8 1 5 Chant (10 seconds). The next skill target ally uses is unaffected by the dazed condition and cannot be interrupted.
- Pvp version 10 1 5 Chant (10 seconds). The next skill target ally uses has +1...2...2 attribute point[s].
Song of Purification 5 1 5 Elite Chant (10 seconds). While suffering from a condition or a hex target ally gains +5...17...20 armor. The next 1...3...3 skill[s] target ally uses remove a condition and a hex from target ally and nearby allies.
- Pvp version 5 1 Elite Chant (10 seconds). The next skill target ally uses removes 1...2...2 condition[s] and hex[es] from target ally and nearby allies.
Song of Restoration 10 1 10 Elite Chant (10 seconds). Target ally gains 10...42...50% more health when healed. The next 1...3...3 skill[s] target ally uses heals target ally and nearby allies for 5...41...50.
- Pvp version 5 1 Elite Chant (10 seconds). The next skill target ally uses heals target ally and nearby allies for 40...68...75.
Holy Spear 8 Spear attack. Deals +10...18...20 holy damage to target foe. Deals 10...34...40 holy damage to foes adjacent to target foe. Inflicts burning condition (1...3...4 second[s]) to summoned creatures.
Cautery Signet 1 7 Elite Signet. Removes two conditions and two hexes from target ally. Removal effect: gain 50 health and inflicts burning condition (2 seconds) to nearby foes for each condition and hex removed.
The function of the echo did not take me a long time to come up with a suitable function for it. Knowing that an echo is a reflection of a sound i moddeled it's function in a way that it buffs shouts and chants based on a similar method the guardian the legacy of the paragon does in gw2. The chants give me a bit more thinking to come up with a suitable function for them. The Anthems i had a swift idea of but the chants in the motivation line gave me a bit more time to come up with a suitable function for them due to their names wich don't give them much flexibility in their functions.
With leadership i primarily focused on self supportive skills and some offensive and defensive party support, wich was quite easy to do since primary attributes primarily focus on self support and skill buffs. With command and motivation i took a diferent aproach in function.
With command i decided to make all of the skills defensive and offensive support skills for attackers. composed primarily out of one type of chant the anthem i decided to move all of the anthems to command and moved all non-anthem chants to motivation. The anthem i designed them to have a function buffing normal attacks as well as attack skills increasing damage by melees and ranged attackers.
Motivation is almost fully focused on spellcaster support with some added supportive healing. The role of motivation with this change now has it's focus on buffing spells and allowing casters to cast their spells more often and let them last longer in battle by allowing them to heal themselfs and granting them energy management.
 Spear Mastery
For spear mastery i changed the conditional effects of a lot of spear attacks or removed them completely. I ended up giving most of them an effect and a conditional effect instead of a purely conditional effect, so they are not too situational to use. This in total should give the paragon a good ammount of diverse skills to manipulate the battlefield by buffing it's allies with shouts chants and echoes and taking out the enemy with the spear.
 No Attribute
With the No Attribute skills i was thinking of skill functions that can benefit multiple professions. Thinking how they could function best i decided to go for self-support skills. I changed Cautery Signet into a skill that can keep any profession clean from both conditions and hexes. It should work well in condition and hex heavy areas, both PvE and PvP alike. Remedy Signet became like Antidote Signet, but instead of removing blind, disease and poison it removes dazed, deep wound and weakness. I included dazed because in this suggesion Chants are affected by the dazed condition, it also keeps spellcasters clean. Deep wound has been added because it is a very dangerous condition and with the dervish update can now be easily covered. For the last condition i went for weakness because it can seriously hinder the damage output of any profession due to the reduction of the attribute points, and even more on martial classes due to the added 66% weapon damage reduction. I did not add bleeding because it is a condition that is easily reaplied when it's removed and burning because of it's short duration, cripple has been left out because it is most usable on the stationary classes. Signet of Aggresion has been changed into a skill that gives an aditional strike of adrenaline on an attack. I decided to remove the activation time so it does not hinder the DPS of the martial classes to much. It would be nice if signets without an activation time and aftercast would not stop attacking or movement of players when used.
 Shouts, Chants and Echoes
When changing the shouts i was thinking how they could be the most useful for the paragon and be a support to the party. After that i looked at leadership's function and looking back how shouts are used, mainly "Go For The Eyes!" and decided to give them effect affecting allies and party members and altered their functions so they are more beneficial as support and let the paragon benefit leadership better and doesn't have to bring GFTE as sole shout for energy managment. After giving them a new range some shouts had to have their powers reduced or needed to be completly changed.
In the command line most noticable are "Find Their Weakness!" and "Brace Yourself!". For the first i was thinking of an effect wich would be most useful and looked at how it was used and what for, being it's ability to let anyone inflict deep wound. With that in mind i let keep it's deep wound ability and removed it's damage. After that i started thinking what else could be beneficial to the martial classes or more so what effect they mostly lack and fill it up and with that i came out on cracked armor, altough with it's new range and effect i reduced the durations of the conditions up to that of it's recharge. For PvE however a party wide deep wound would be to strong no mather how much you try to balance it so i removed it and increased the duration of cracked armor instead. The latter was rather easy thinking why it needed a change and that's because there already is a shout that prevents a knock down for the entire party, A second reason is also because it would be too strong for pvp and would be a pain to balance properly. After that i was thinking what else could be useful for the martial class and suit the name and i went for a defensive Go For The Eyes! mimicing it's function but instead of increasing the chance of a critical hit it gives a blocking effect.
Of the shouts i have changed attributes of quite a few of them. "Help Me!", "Incoming!", "Lead The Way!", "Make Your Time!", "Never Give Up!" and "They're On Fire!", all have their attributes changed together with their effects. Help Me! and Incoming! have been moved to leadership with a new function and purpose. For Help Me! i went for a self supportive skill giving defense and health regeneration as well as meeting the condition of skills that require you to be under the effect of a shout or chant to work. Incoming has been changed into a damage reduction skill based on the imbagon's primary shouts, also to fulfill the paragon players long time wish: an imbagon build for pvp. The Motivation shouts are all designed to support the caster backline buffing their spells and making casting them easier.
The Chants really gave me a headache to redesign. As noticed i have moved all of the Anthems to command and all the other chant types to motivation. Now to explain their new function namewise. The functions they have by their name and their effects in PvE and PvP are different from eachother since both formats are vastly different from eachother in how it plays and wich skill effect is preferred for it.
- Anthem: a single target chant with a passive attack buff and an active attack skill buff.
- PvP: a single target chant with an active effect that triggers on an attack skill.
- Aria: a party-wide active spell buff.
- Ballad: no change.
- Chorus: an ally-wide passive effect and an active effect triggered by shouts.
- Lyric: a single target with an active and a reactive spell buff.
- Song: a single target passive buff and an active skill buff.
The Anthems are fully focused on martial support and the Arias, Lyrics and the Songs are fully focused on spellcaster support. The Ballad and the Chorusses can benefit both classes.
One thing about the chants is that many of them have similar functions names leaving them with only a few options for a function. Most problematic are the names Energizing and Zealous/Zeal, both names serve as energy management and changing them into into supportive skills without giving the Paragon too much supportive energy management has been quite a hassle. To prevent that problem all skills that serve as energy management but do not have the words Energizing or Zealous/Zeal in their names have been given a different function. Song of Concentration is able to prevent interruption of any skill in PvP so player killers can still use it to full effect as they are using it now. The reason i split the functions of Chants to such an extend is to prevent any heavy impact on PvP meta.
The Echoes also received a change in function of how they are applied but how they work remained mostly the same.
- Finale: an instant active effect.
- Refrain: a passive effect.
With this change the echo now function as a buff to shouts and chants who as skill types did not posses a buff. With the changes to Aggressive Refrain the paragon would not have a non elite IAS so i changed Natural Temper into a IAS stance. Enduring Harmony and Soldier's Fury who do not posses Finale or Refrain in their names but are still an echo have had their skill types changed, both skills still keep their roles. Soldier's Fury's effect is now more in line with with the other Soldier stances. Echoes have been limited to 1 for the same reason as chants. Finales who have an instant effect however do not remove a Refrain so they can be combined but cannot activated at the same time. The effect echoes have by their names are the same for PvE and PvP unlike Chants.
With the rerolled functions of chants, shouts and echoes and the new roles of command and motivation the mid-line paragon can now choose to support either the frontline or the backline while still being able to deal a reasonable ammount of damage with it's spear.
Well that is the paragon for now, i'm sure it still requires some balancing and mostly for PvP.
Oh yeah the paragon could really use a leadership shield or a function that makes off-hand weapon require leadership so it can 12-12. Right now the paragon is the only class who is unable to effectively 12-12 with it's attributes due to the location of the self support skills and the lack of a leadership shield.