A Favor Returned
|A Favor Returned|
|Section||The Jade Sea Quests|
|Storyline||Beyond: Winds of Change|
|Given by|| Guardsman Qao Lin |
in Kaineng Center
|Preceded by||A Chance Encounter|
|Followed by|| Deadly Cargo|
A Favor Returned (Hard mode)
Regular walkthrough route
- Locate the Jade Brotherhood at Mount Qinkai.
- Rescue the Jade Brotherhood's captives.
- See Guardsman Qao Lin for your reward.
Start from Aspenwood Gate (Luxon). Listen to Meijun, Vengeful Eye and then head north to the yeti cave (refer to the map). The cave has two entrances: the southwest and the east. As you approach, a dialogue between Yuun, Kisai, and Mai will trigger. Soon after that, the trio will be attacked by waves of yeti. Your task is to protect them; the quest is failed if any of them dies.
The yetis will attack from both entrances in groups of three: all but two groups will come from the east. As Meijun ends his dialogue (and you approach the cave), two groups will spawn close to cave entrance; there is plenty of time to kill them and return inside before the main assault begins. You can also use a spirit wall to delay the approach of the next group.
That small cliff overlooking the east entrance is a good place to make your stand. Keep an eye on the NPC health bars, especially Mai's, since she has a tendency to shadow step right into the fray. Although the yeti are light damage dealers, they are capable of wearing down your party due to their large numbers, especially in hard mode. After you've killed all the Yetis, Yuun will thank you and you will finish the quest.
If you have trouble keeping Mai alive, you can buy yourself some extra time by avoiding triggering the quest dialogues until after you have cleared out a path to the cave entrance.
Starting from Aspenwood Gate, clear your way north through the Rot Wallows and the Island Guardian. Then flag your heroes just south of the western cave entrance. Now make your way back to the outpost along the clear path, and go near enough to Meijun, Vengeful Eye to begin the dialogue. (You can alternatively trigger his dialogue from the ledge to his north east where the Oni are hidden). Once Meijun begins talking, head along the clear route to the cave and when the dialogue stops the yeti will spawn - and due to your direction of approach, the vulnerable npcs will not immediately be added to the party list.
Now sweep your way through the cave past the now invulnerable npcs to kill the various incoming Yeti groups. Once you have killed the waves of yeti immediately moving into the cave, you can head east to kill the stationary foes - just bear in mind that moving far enough north will trigger the npcs to become vulnerable.
- Spirit spammers and/or minion masters, to help distract the yeti.
- Blood is Power to replenish energy.
- Well spells, such as Well of Silence and Well of Suffering.
Humans (Jade Brotherhood)
- Guardsman Qao Lin
- "I've been expecting you, although I wish we were meeting under better circumstances. The Ministry of Purity doesn't know what they've begun, stirring up the Jade Brotherhood and the Am Fah like this. The Imperial Guard have always recognized them as a threat, but we are simply too few to remove them outright. We have coexisted as a balance of power, never stepping too far out of line for fear of the consequences. I wish that it were not the case, but at least we were able to keep people safer in those circumstances. Safer than they are now.
- "It seems that the Jade Brotherhood has an interest in you, specifically. And that? That is never a good thing. They've been spreading the word amongst their usual channels that they are waiting for you at Mount Qinkai.
- "I'm sure I don't need to tell you that this is obviously a trap. And from what I know of you, I'm just as certain that won't be enough to deter you."
Upon approaching Meijun, Vengeful Eye:
- Meijun, Vengeful Eye: "So. You have come after all. I wonder: Do you have a death wish, or are you that determined to wage a war with us? No matter. You are here now."
- Meijun, Vengeful Eye: "I think it's time that you understood a simple fact. You yourself might be a formidable foe, but can you say the same for those around you? Those that you have helped? Those that you have fought with? Can you always be there when you are needed?"
- Meijun, Vengeful Eye: "The answer to all of these questions is no. And we are happy to prove this to you. Why don't you try having a look at the yeti caves to the north? The Jade Brotherhood has left you a little surprise."
- Meijun, Vengeful Eye: "If I were you, I would hurry. Otherwise, you might not like what you find."
Upon approaching the caves:
- Yuun: "Please! If there's anyone there, we need help!"
- <Party leader>: "What? There's someone in there! I've got to get them out!"
- Mai: "These yeti are nothing. I will fight them off myself. I can be as great as Nika!"
- Yuun: "As great as Nika? You couldn't even stop the Jade Brotherhood!"
- Mai: "Neither could you, "Quick Shot." You can't even use that skill!"
- Kisai: "Please keep it down. You don't want to anger the yetis any further!"
- Yuun: "If only we had a lantern...we could use it to distract them."
- Mai: "We could make our own lantern. Kisai! You must use your fire magic to..."
- Kisai: "I'm terribly sorry, but I only use air magic. I haven't got much of a talent for fire. It's too...wild."
- Mai: "This isn't the time to be reserved. Kisai, make with the fire."
- Yuun: "She says she can't do it. Perhaps if I had arrows, I could rub them together to start a fire."
- Mai: "Oh forget it! We'll just let the real heroes handle it. You two still have a long way to go."
When all the yetis have been defeated:
- <Party leader>: "Thank goodness you're still alive! Are you unharmed?"
- Kisai: "Only thanks to you. We owe you our lives."
- Yuun: "The Jade Brotherhood attacked us...and dragged us out here to die. They said they were going to make an example of us for you."
- <Party leader>: "I'm sorry to have gotten you involved. This can't continue... The conflict, the gangs, the Ministry of Purity. Of all the threats I've faced, sometimes I think that people are the most dangerous of all."
- Yuun: "It isn't a hopeless situation. There is still capacity for good in people. After all, you came to save us, did you not? I will bring these two home safely. I know there is something more that you need to be doing now."
- Guardsman Qao Lin
- "The Jade Brotherhood did what? Not that I'm surprised by that, it's just... this is going to get worse before it gets better. For the sake of the Empire, I hope we can make it better. It's too late now to go back to the way things were. We just need to find the strength to move forward, and try to make the best of what we have. It won't be easy, but with honorable heroes like you, I have faith that we can persevere."