The term port is generally used to refer to intercontinental ports; towns or outposts which allow travel between campaigns. When characters travel between different campaigns, they will always arrive at the appropriate port. In other words, when your character travels to another continent (i.e. campaign), your character will arrive at the port of the target campaign. There is currently only one intercontinental port per campaign.
Ports are amongst the most populated districts in the game; they serve as centralized hubs of trade, events, social interaction and party formations.
- Core - Great Temple of Balthazar (for PvP-players) / Embark Beach (for PvE-players)
- Prophecies - Lion's Arch
- Factions - Kaineng Center
- Nightfall - Kamadan, Jewel of Istan
Unlocking intercontinental travel
Unlocking travel to a given campaign requires the completion of one of the appropriate intercontinental travel quests, obtained from NPCs in the appropriate port. Travel quests from Tyria and Cantha become available immediately upon reaching the appropriate port, while travel quests from Elona are not available until after completing The Time is Nigh, a primary quest. Once a port town is unlocked, all the other possible quests to gain access to it will become unavailable. For more information, see campaign travel.
Additionally, there are several ports which allow travel between areas or regions on the same continent by talking to the appropriate NPC.
- Asura Gate, Eye of the North's intercontinental port equivalent.
- Central Transfer Chamber, used to be the Asuran's primary intercontinental port in lore.
- Embark Beach, the Zaishen Order's intercontinental port dedicated for mission.
- Forgotten Guardian, protectors of teleporters which transport players from The Arid Sea to Crystal Overlook and vice versa.