- "Catacombs" redirects here. For the dungeon, see Catacombs of Kathandrax.
Green Hills County
The Catacombs is a large network of tombs in pre-Searing Ascalon. They connect to several places in the kingdom of Ascalon, and have been used as a way of transportation. The catacombs are infested with Undead spirits, making them dangerous to venture into. Poisonous Swamp Water is also found in certain areas of the catacombs.
Adventurers who do brave the poisonous water and the swarms of undead are treated to beautiful murals depicting the Gods of Tyria.
- Statue of Grenth
- In a recess just off the raised area where Paulus finds the artifact in A Monk's Mission.
- In the area behind Necromancer Munne where there is a large gathering of gargoyles.
- Necromancer Munne
- Oberan the Reviled
Humans (Ascalon Army)
- 1 Gwynn (collector for 3 Skeletal Limbs)
- 1 Karleen (collector for 5 Gargoyle Skulls) (not during The Power of Blood)
Concept art by Daniel Dociu.
An underground chamber devoted to Grenth.
The Catacombs as seen from Green Hills County.
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki has an article on Ascalonian Catacombs.|
- These quests will affect the spawns in this area:
- The quest Rites of Remembrance will spawn several allied lvl10 Restless Spirits which will help you during the quest Vanguard Annihilation: Undead and A Monk's Mission. You do not need to keep the Votive Candles in your inventory.
- Collector Karleen has the upgrade Krytan armor foot gear for all professions in pre-Searing.
- The catacombs are a great place for Smiting Monks to quickly gain skill levels - luring all of the creatures into one small area before unleashing Symbol of Wrath is particularly effective.
- While navigating the passageway towards Oberan the Reviled (usually during the quest Charr in the Catacombs), if you have the Fire Imp active, it can get caught trying to attack the foes in the other passageway. Two ways to avoid this are (1) to stick to the right hand side of the passageway you are in, (2) to go down the other passageway before-hand and clear them out first. If the imp get aggro, (3) use a non-projectile spell such as Fire Storm to clear out the foes in the passageway through the wall or (4) do the whole walk around to clear the path and unstuck the imp.
- Near the exit into Ashford Abbey, there are three broken staircases leading down to the resurrection shrine. The gap between the middle staircase and the right-hand side one (when looking down), despite being nearly vertical, can be freely walked down and up.
- Under the bridge near Karleen, close to the Green Hills County portal, there is a big skeleton that seems to be the one of a dragon.
- The background music is "Ascension Song" from the Guild Wars: Prophecies soundtrack. There's another background music which is a hidden track that can only be heard in-game.
|Explorable areas in pre-Searing Ascalon|
|Green Hills County • Lakeside County • Regent Valley • The Catacombs • The Northlands • Wizard's Folly|
|Towns and outposts • Landmarks|