Gods of Tyria
- This article is about the human gods. For other deities, see Religions of Tyria.
The Gods of Tyria are the most commonly worshiped gods in Tyria. They are the beings who, in the religion of humans and other advanced races, are credited with the creation of the world of Tyria, giving magic to the races, and bestowing the Favor of the Gods. One of their titles, the Old Gods, is given because they have left the world of Tyria during the Exodus of the Gods at year 0. In the timeline BE stands for Before Exodus and AE stands for After Exodus.
Among these gods are: Balthazar, the God of Fire and War; Dwayna, the Goddess of Life and Air (also the leader of the True Gods); Grenth, the God of Death and Ice; Lyssa, Twin Goddess of Beauty and Illusions; Melandru, Goddess of Nature and Earth; and Kormir, Goddess of Truth and Knowledge.
Aside from the six aforementioned gods, there are other known fallen gods. They are Dhuum, Grenth's predecessor who was overthrown by Grenth for being an unjust God of Death, Abaddon, Kormir's predecessor who was imprisoned for attempting to overthrow the other gods, and the unnamed predecessor of Abaddon, only mentioned by the Apostate.
According to legend, the gods used to live on Tyria while they were creating it - however it is now known that while the gods used to live on Tyria, they did not create the world but simply brought humanity to Tyria at an unknown time in the past. Three of the True Gods - Balthazar, Dwayna, and Melandru - used to make their home the city of Arah in the area known as Orr. Abaddon might have also lived in Arah, this is unknown due to all knowledge of him being erased.
In the year 1 BE, Abaddon gifted all sentient races with the gift of magic, but it was abused by all as each race tried to use this gift to destroy the others. After a plea from King Doric, the gods sealed most of the magic away in the bloodstones in order to reduce the amount of magic used, and thus reduce the damage done. Abaddon, who opposed the reduction of magic, attempted to lead a war against the other gods and was imprisoned in the Realm of Torment following his defeat. The other five gods then left Tyria for good and went into the Mists in an event known as the Exodus of the Gods.
Since the Exodus, the Gods have not directly intervened with any affairs in Tyria, although they still watch the world and grant it Favor of the Gods.
Recently, it has been discovered that some of the realms of the gods are under attack. Dhuum's demonic army is assaulting the Underworld in hopes of freeing the former God of Death from imprisonment in the Hall of Judgment. Menzies is assaulting the Fissure of Woe with his Shadow Army to obtain his half brother's throne. There have also been attacks on The Hall of Heroes path leading from the Tomb of the Primeval Kings and the Dragon Festival in Cantha was attacked before the events of Nightfall.
Yearly, Grenth and Dwayna have a "battle" to gain favor from the races of Tyria in order to determine if winter should last longer, or if spring should come sooner. It appears that only humans, dwarves, and norn celebrate this occasion. The norn are likely only involved for the party, as the change of seasons has little to no effect on their land.
 Gods in Tyria
The presence of the True Gods can be felt in the present day when the world has earned the Favor of the Gods.
- Balthazar: Champion of Balthazar (a ghostly knight resembling many eternals)
- Dwayna: Avatar of Dwayna (an angelic apparition resembling Dwayna's statues)
- Grenth: Voice of Grenth (a dark specter resembling a rift warden)
- Melandru: Melandru's Watcher (a spirit resembling a druid)
- Lyssa: Lyssa's Muse (a face in a wreath)
- Kormir: Avatar of Kormir and Seer of Truth (a blindfolded, golden version of herself)
- Balthazar: Command & Spear Paragons, Fire Elementalists, Scythe Dervishes, Protection & Smiting Monks, and Warriors.
- Dwayna: Air Elementalists, Divine Favor & Healing Monks, Leadership & Motivation Paragons, and Wind Dervishes.
- Grenth: Assassins, Necromancers, Ritualists, and Water Elementalists.
- Melandru: Earth Dervishes, Earth Elementalists, and Rangers.
- Lyssa: Assassins, Energy Storage Elementalists, Mysticism Dervishes, and Mesmers.
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki also has an article on Six Human Gods.|
- They are known by many names such as:
- Ancient Ones
- Ancient Gods
- Five Gods (before Guild Wars Nightfall)
- Old Gods
- Six Gods (after Guild Wars Nightfall)
- True Gods
- Tyrian Gods
 See also
|Religions of Tyria|
|Human Gods|| Balthazar (statue) • Dwayna (statue) • Grenth (statue) • Lyssa (statue) • Melandru (statue) |
Abaddon (statue) • Dhuum • Goddess of Truth (statue)
|Other|| Charr gods • The Great Destroyer • Great Dwarf • Menzies • Spirits of the Wild • Three Queens • Unseen Ones|
Eternal Alchemy • Sky Above the Sky