Character selection screen
Here you can select a character to play and enter the game, or select an empty slot to create a new character (which will take you directly into the game using them).
Your character slots are displayed in a ring fashion around the bottom of the screen. If there are more slots available than will fit on the screen at once, the ring can be rotated by holding the mouse over the arrows. The sort order of the characters can be changed with a selector in the upper left corner of the screen.
The background of the screen changes according to the most recent campaign release. It is not possible to revert back to any of these screens, they are just shown here for reference.
The Prophecies CSS did not allow for camera movement, and all characters you had were shown at once. Rather than thumbnails, you selected characters by clicking on them directly, which caused them to move forward.
There was no online store at this time.
The Factions CSS added camera movement, and a new layout for characters. Characters were selected by clicking their thumbnails, and the selected character would appear in the center of the screen. Many UI elements, such as account key management, were changed to appear in a window instead of full screen.
About halfway through this screen's existence, the online store was added and its button placed in the upper right corner of the screen (example here).
The Nightfall CSS was essentially the same as its predecessor, but with new borders, UI, background, and music to fit the Nightfall theme.
On July 17th, 2007, the sky used in this CSS was modified slightly: The left side was darkened somewhat. Some people claimed to hear a new gust of wind and the sound of wolves in the background. This may have been a foreshadowing to the Eye of the North CSS.
Eye of the North CSS
- One of the mountains in the background closely resembles Half Dome in Yosemite National Park
- The music played on the CSS is the same as the music played when you flee the Destroyers in their first appearance in the Beginning of the End quest.
- If you check "Hide UI", the login screen UI will disappear after an idle timeout, and then reappear when you move your mouse. This option will also remain set between visits to the login screen.
- The "PvP/RP" sort order will sort PvP-only characters before roleplaying characters, and will also sort both sections alphabetically.
- The "Change Password" and "Change Mailing Address" options via the "Edit Account" button are unavailable. See here for instructions on another method to change your password.