- This article is about the charmable animal. For the collector during Farewell to Gaile, see Black Bear (collector).
|Affiliation||Shiverpeak Mountains wildlife|
In Wizard's Folly
In Spearhead Peak
The Black Bear is a charmable animal that can be found in Ascalon (pre-Searing) and in the Southern Shiverpeaks. They only eat starchy fruit when berries are in season, though at othertimes they have a better balanced diet, and due to the immense amount of energy stored up, they are able to hibernate once berry season ends.
- Ascalon (pre-Searing)
- Southern Shiverpeaks
- Black Bears deal slashing damage.
- Unlocking cost: 1 plus 100 or 1,000 Balthazar Faction (Common, Tyria)
- The attack skill Brutal Mauling that the Black Bear uses is slower than a normal pet attack, causing the Black Bear to have a lower damage over time than other pets (including the Polar Bear). However, it can also trigger effects that requires an attack skill to be used, like some Paragon skills provide.
- Beyond pre-Searing, the bears appear at level 5 and can be charmed as easily as any other animal.
- One easily accessible location is in Spearhead Peak, northwest of Copperhammer Mines and the nearest resurrection shrine.
- There is also one to be found in Witman's Folly, due east of the portal from Port Sledge. The path will usually be clear of enemies, but beware popups near the bear's location.
Charming this animal
- The helping player must passively tank the bear in an area with a clear escape route, and should keep the bear's back facing the charmer. The charming player must stand at maximum spell range from the bear.
- Every fourth attack, a symbol will appear over the bear as it winds up to use its maul skill. This is slower than its normal attacks. The players should coordinate to react the next time it begins, as soon as the symbol appears: the helper will run directly away from the charmer and the charmer will cast charm as the target bear is about to be pulled out of casting range. If the charmer casts too soon the bear will not be moving out of range behind the puller and will disengage aggro from them and be able to use break charm.
- If everything goes right, the bear will complete its attack skill on the now-distant tanking player, and will then chase after them, moving out of the interrupt's range and failing to notice the charmer.
- Dropping the HP of the bear near death increases the chances of not getting interrupted.
- The principle is that the tank brings the bear far enough that even if it uses Breaking Charm, the player who is charming the bear, is not affected by it.
- See this Youtube video or this Youtube video for an example.
|Animal Companions and Beast Mastery (edit)|
|List of Pets • Gallery of Pets • Pet Tamers • Pet Menagerie (pet leveling) • Pet Unlock Pack|
|Eye of the North|