- This article is about a location. This name is also used for an outpost and a Zaishen mission quest.
|Preceded by||Iron Mines of Moladune|
|Followed by||Final Blow|
Retake Thunderhead Keep.
- Clear the city.
- Clear the fort.
- Kill Dagnar Stonepate.
- Help King Jalis Ironhammer hold Thunderhead Keep.
- Speak with King Jalis Ironhammer.
- *BONUS* Light the beacons to draw additional Mursaat forces into Thunderhead Keep.
The goal is to recover the Deldrimor Dwarves' capital city and fort while protecting King Jalis Ironhammer. The mission is divided into four stages: getting to the capital, clearing it of foes, breaching the fort, and then defending it against a siege.
Reaching the city is straightforward: cross the bridge and then head north-west. There is an incoming patrol at the end of this bridge, so pull the first mob towards the bridge and kill them before the other one arrives.
Once inside the city, defeat all eight mobs of Stone Summit (they will ping on the compass in yellow). Two are stationary behind the northern walls, the rest patrols small areas. Clear the outer mobs first and close-in slowly to avoid over-aggro. Proceed to the gate at the eastern side of the city and King Jalis Ironhammer will open it with Claim Resource. Now follow the path leading to the fort.
Defeat the Stone Summit led by Dagnar Stonepate inside the fort, triggering a cinematic. Afterwards, the siege stage of the mission and the bonus starts.
During the siege, waves of White Mantle and Mursaat spawn from a Mursaat teleporter in the north and make their way towards the fort. Some will enter through the west gate and others through the east, as they attempt to reach and kill the king. During their approach, the party can soften up these groups by firing the ballistae (on the walls) at the fields outside. Foes standing in the applicable strike points (darkened areas on the map) will be severely damaged, although it can take up to four shots to kill some of them. For most people the safest defense is to defend the king inside the fort.
The siege consists of three phases:
- Waves of Stone Summit Dwarves and Enslaved Frost Giants, including one of the six bosses.
- Waves of Mursaat and Jade constructs, including one of their bosses.
- Waves of White Mantle; the final wave is a large mob led by Confessor Dorian.
- Time markers during the final wave
The mission takes at least around 30 minutes because the spawns during the siege are tied to a script. The king's remarks act as a rough guide to the remaining amount of time:
- (~17 minutes before the final wave) "The Mantle followed you! Stand fast friends! This will be our finest hour!" (about 17 minutes left until Confessor Dorian arrives)
- (~12 minutes remaining) "Be on your guard. The left hand of Grenth himself comes for us."
The bonus requires the party to prevent the death of Dwarven allies located outside the fort by lighting two Storm Beacons with enchanted torches that are directly in front of each beacon, which draw enemies to the fort and away from the unprotected Dwarves. Both beacons are on opposite sides of the fort, on the east and west walls.
There is enough time for a single player without speed boosts to light both beacons. Do not try to carry a torch between the beacons, otherwise the bundle will slow the runner down too much. There is a torch at either beacon, allowing the player to drop and leave the torch at the lit beacons. With more players in the party, both beacons can be lit simultaneously.
Unfortunately, the quest log does not update on the Dwarves' survival. The only indication the bonus was failed is if the Dwarves cry out, "The end is here! Great Dwarf save us!" If that text does not appear in party chat, it is an indirect confirmation of success.
Once the last attacker dies, the quest log will update, and a quest marker will appear over Ironhammer's head. Speaking with him concludes the mission. The bonus will be awarded at that point, if it was completed successfully.
Strategies for defending the fort
There are three main techniques for successfully defending against the siege, based on where you confront the mobs: at the gates, with the king, or by taking the fight to the teleporter.
- Defend the gates
Split the party into two groups to block each gate; this keeps the King safely away. The courtyard's width prevents the two groups from working together, but they will be close enough that one or two members can run back and forth to assist. Ranged characters can fight from atop the walls. Use the ballistae to weaken foes before they reach a gate.
- Pro: The King is never at risk.
- Con: The split groups are weak against strong assaults.
- Defend the king
Hold your ground between the center beacon and the King. Regardless from which gate these small mobs enter, they always converge at the top of the stairs. However, if enemies enter the King's aggro area, he will join the fight, which makes him difficult to protect as he will not move back.
- Pro: The party outnumbers enemies. Easier to manage with heroes and henchmen.
- Con: The King will be at risk.
- Attack at the spawn point
Parties with strong firepower can push back the incoming waves to their spawn point to the north since they all pass through a choke point. Players will stand at full force while keeping the King completely away from battle. Jades along the way (not the ones that spawn) can be ignored, as they are part of the bonus and will not attack the King. Single foes that split during this procedure can be killed by Smoke Phantom allies.
- Pro: Allows the party to be at full strength.
- Con: Difficult in Hard mode to reach the Mursaat teleporter or to regroup if any foe slips.
Although the foes are considerably more difficult in hard mode, the techniques are the same. Keep a more careful eye on the king's health throughout the mission.
- Ward of Stability to counter Summit Giant Herders's Giant Stomp.
- Minions/spirits to outnumber foes.
- AoE skills, especially if using the defend the king method.
- 24 (26) Avicara Brave
- 24 (26) Avicara Fierce
- 24 (26) Avicara Ardent
- 24 (26) Avicara Guile
- 24 (26) Avicara Wise
Dwarves (Stone Summit)
- 24 (26) Stone Summit Carver
- 24 (26) Summit Giant Herder
- 24 (26) Stone Summit Ranger
- 24 (26) Dolyak Master
- 24 (26) Stone Summit Gnasher
- 24 (26) Stone Summit Heretic
Elementals (Stone Summit)
- 24 (26) Siege Ice Golem
- 24 (26) Enslaved Frost Giant
- 22 (26) Blessed Griffon
- 20 (26) White Mantle Zealot
- 18 (25) White Mantle Seeker
- 20 (26) Confessor Dorian
- 20 (26) White Mantle Priest
- 16 (25) White Mantle Ritualist
- 16 (20) White Mantle Sycophant
- 16 (20) White Mantle Savant
- 24 (26) Jade Armor
- 24 (26) Jade Bow
- 24 (26) Mursaat Monk
- 24 (26) Mursaat Necromancer
- 24 (26) Mursaat Mesmer
- 24 (26) Mursaat Elementalist
Dwarves (Stone Summit)
- 28 (30) Gornar Bellybreaker → Cleave (50% chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Ulhar Stonehound → Melandru's Arrows (50% chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Bolis Hillshaker → Mark of Protection (50% chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Riine Windrot → Offering of Blood (50% chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Fuury Stonewrath → Crippling Anguish (50% chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Dagnar Stonepate
Elementals (Stone Summit)
- 28 (30) Perfected Armor → Devastating Hammer (1 in 6 chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Perfected Cloak → Oath Shot (1 in 6 chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Demetrios the Enduring → Aura of Faith (1 in 6 chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Argyris the Scoundrel → Life Transfer (1 in 6 chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Pantheras The Deceiver → Energy Surge (1 in 6 chance of spawning)
- 28 (30) Chrysos the Magnetic → Thunderclap (1 in 6 chance of spawning)
- Vizier Khilbron: "You have taken the keep, but your fight is not yet over. The Mursaat and their White Mantle counterparts are headed this way. They drive before them the denizens of the Shiverpeak Mountains. I grant you this boon and the aid of these undead servants. Today you must prevail, for the tale does not end here. Your destiny lies to the west."
- King Jalis Ironhammer: Not even death will save you from my wrath.
- Vizier Khilbron: If you will allow me this indulgence, King Ironhammer. Perhaps the confessor can still be of some use to us.
- King Jalis Ironhammer: Never give me the opportunity for revenge.
- Vizier Khilbron: This is just as it was written in the Flameseeker Prophecies. An opening will be given to the disciples of the Unseen. The peaks and valleys of the Shiverpeaks will be painted in blood. At this time, the Ascendants will rise, and the way to the Door will be clear. The time of our judgment is near. We must prepare. Today's was a great victory, but now your true challenge begins. You must go to the Ring of Fire island chain. In the caldera of the largest volcano you will find the power you need.
- King Jalis Ironhammer: The Ring of Fire? A more treacherous land in Tyria there is not.
- Vizier Khilbron: True enough, but that is where we will find the Door of Komalie. Behind it lies the secret to defeating the Mursaat.
- King Jalis Ironhammer: You're a brave lot, but you'll not make it past the beachhead.
- Brechnar Ironhammer: Not without some Dwarven help. I will go with them.
- King Jalis Ironhammer: Brechnar, do you know what you are saying?
- Brechnar Ironhammer: Yes, brother.
- King Jalis Ironhammer: A mission to the Ring of Fire would be suicide.
- Brechnar Ironhammer: Then may we meet each other in the afterlife.
- Vizier Khilbron: Through this portal awaits your destiny. Do not let it linger. Seize that which you were born to do.
- Brechnar Ironhammer: Until we are reunited in the Great Forge.
- King Jalis Ironhammer: Go with honor, my brother. Fight bravely in the name of Deldrimor.
- Undead Lich: It won't be a long now. Not long at all!
- When facing Dagnar there are two walls which each hold two ballistae. The ballista on the left can be fired to kill a mob of eight enemies before killing Dagnar, giving you fewer enemies to fight in the siege.
- The siege portion of the mission can be managed (even in hard mode) without effort by a player with 7 heroes/henchmen (i.e. while AFK):
- Flag heroes at the top of the stairs, somewhat apart.
- Change their mode to Fight.
- Ensure you have a balanced party.
- This is the first of only four missions required to reach the end of the Prophecies storyline.
- Complete exploration of this area contributes approximately 1.1% to the Tyrian Cartographer title.
- You can easily explore the north part of the map after Confessor Dorian has been killed. No more mobs will spawn after him, and the mission will not end until you speak to King Jalis.
- After completing this mission, your party travels to Ember Light Camp using the Mursaat teleporter.
- During the ending cinematic, the Undead Lich and Spoiler-related boss can be seen near a cave to the north guarded by some jade.