|Preceded by||Report to the White Mantle|
|Followed by||Divinity Coast|
Lend aid to the White Mantle in their fight against the undead.
- Hurry to the Temple of Tolerance.
- Discuss the undead menace with Confessor Dorian.
- ADDED: Clear out the undead from the village of Hakewood.
- ADDED: Protect Confessor Dorian from the undead.
- ADDED: Head to the southwest. Locate Dinas and the Scepter of Orr.
- *BONUS* Deliver the village's offering intact to the statue of Melandru.
Follow the path until the nearby village (point 1 on the map) and eliminate all the undead there. You do not need to save any of the villagers, but a morale boost is gained each time you do. If you wish to complete the bonus, Benji Makala must survive.
If ignoring the bonus, simply speak to the Gate Guard then travel through the swamp to the west.
If going for the bonus, you have to take the path north instead (yellow on the map), behind Gate Guard Makala, and open the lever-operated door at the end to catch up with the initial path to the Temple of Tolerance (point A).
Upon arrival, Confessor Dorian is added to your party and the battle will begin against several waves of undead. There is a Shrine of Mending that provides +3 health regeneration to living creatures in its area of effect. After waves of skeletons and ghouls, a quest marker appears above Dorian.
The Confessor instructs the player to retrieve the Scepter of Orr from his scribe Dinas, located further to the west. 3–4 minutes later another group of foes will spawn and Dorian may still die if left alone, causing mission failure. Kill these undead before continuing to Dinas' location.
Follow the ettin infested path to Dinas (who might be fighting a boss) and talk to him to end the mission.
The bonus involves carrying the Offering to Melandru (point 3) to the offering stand (point 4). Since the bridge from the pick-up point to the drop-off point is broken, you have to go the long way around it, through the temple.
First at the settlement, ensure Benji survives from the boss that spawns near him. Run straight towards him once he is added as ally to the party window.
If having troubles, consider using a speed boost or alternatively flag heroes or henchmen ahead, as the boss will only start attacking the NPC when a player enters compass range. Note that this technique can be used for the bonus in the following mission (Divinity Coast) as well.
After the boss is killed, you can trigger the bonus from Benji immediately (a green marker appears above his head), however you still have to ensure he survives the entire assault, protecting him again on his way to the Shrine of Mending, as Gate Guard Makala (point 2) will not let you pass through the north gate until the village is cleared and his brother safe. Be careful not to overaggro, especially Zombie Warlocks and their minions.
At the end of the northern path (yellow on the map), a swamp populated by undead, you will reach the Offering and a door operated by a lever that connects to the main path.
At this point you have to make a choice. You can choose to take the offering first, ignoring its drawbacks, or proceed with the mission objectives first, clear the path and come back to the Offering later. The first choice is usually faster since you avoid backtracking, while the second choice is safer.
Many foes will gather around Dorian before you have time to reach him. It is recommended to proceed directly to the temple and protect him first (ignoring the Grasping Ghouls; they will stop to fight the White Mantle Guard).
- Holy damage is doubled against undead.
- The undead's strategy revolves around conditions to trigger Fragility and "Victory is Mine!". Condition removal is effective as well as skills that benefit from conditions. Here are the details of conditions :
- Corpse control is effective against Zombie Warlocks. Well of Silence works well as it denies the use of "Victory is Mine!".
- Wells, notably Well of Power and Well of Blood, and Wards, notably Ward Against Elements and Ward Against Harm, are helpful when defending Dorian.
- The Skeleton Sorcerers are the biggest threat with their ability to inflict blind, their high AoE damage and knockdown. In addition to the aforementioned wards, Ward of Stability can be used to protect against Earthquake, while "Can't Touch This!" can be used against Lightning Touch. Interrupts work well too.
- Enchantment removal can be effective to remove Death Nova and Vengeance.
- Hex removal against the skeleton mesmers and skales.
- Hexes are less effective as Skeleton Mesmers and Monks carry Shatter Hex and Smite Hex respectively. On the opposite, none of the foes carry condition removal, so conditions are effective.
- 10 (20) Benji Makala
- 15 (20) Gate Guard
- 15 (20) Gate Guard Makala
- 15 (20) White Mantle Guard
- 12 (20) Justiciar Isaiah
- 20 (20) Confessor Dorian
- 20 (20) Dinas
- 10 (20) Villagers (several)
- 5 (5) Lynx
- 15 (25) Gypsie Ettin
- 14 (24) Mergoyles
- 17 (25) Ancient Oakheart
- 11 (24) Bog Skale
- 17 (28) Droog Stoneclub
- 17 (28) Tree of Renewal
- 16 (28) Abijah the Decayed
- 16 (28) Kemal the Deadened
- 16 (28) Ziyad Soulreaper
- 16 (28) Gezna Shadowstalker
- Justiciar Isaiah: "The undead army marches toward the Temple of Tolerance."
- Justiciar Isaiah: "They've already overrun the valley, and they're moving on the village of Hakewood."
- Justiciar Isaiah: "Come on."
When reaching the first bridge:
- Justiciar Isaiah: "It's worse than I thought. The undead have taken the whole valley."
- Justiciar Isaiah: "There are more of them than I thought."
- Justiciar Isaiah: "You must hurry. The Temple of Tolerance may already be under attack."
- Justiciar Isaiah: "We need more help. I'm going back to muster more Mantle Knights. You go on to warn the confessor."
When coming into range of a Villager:
- Villager: "HELP!"
- Villager: "Please help!"
- Villager: "I don't want to die."
- Villager: "Help me. Oh Dwayna, please help me!"
- Villager: "This is not how I wanted to leave this world."
When saving a Villager:
- Villager: "You saved my home and my life."
- Villager: "I'm forever in your debt."
- Villager: "I can't thank you enough."
- Villager: "You're my hero."
- Villager: "Will you come live in Hakewood? You'd be welcome here."
When coming into range of Benji Makala:
- Benji Makala: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
After saving Benji Makala:
- Benji Makala: "You would make a good White Mantle guard. Just like my brother."
When speaking to Benji Makala:
- Benji Makala: "You saved my life. Thank you!"
- Benji Makala: "Most of the White Mantle don't understand the old traditions. But you seem different. There is a small offering out behind Hakewood in our ruined farm house. Just follow the path out the back get to get there."
- Benji Makala: "Could you take it to our local statue of Melandru? Be careful not to drop it!"
When speaking to the Gate Guard before Hakewood has been cleared:
- Gate Guard: "We've already got enough undead here. I'm not opening the door until the village is cleared."
When speaking to the Gate Guard after the assault on Hakewood:
- Gate Guard: "I'll let you through, but leave at your own risk. I'll not let any more of those boneheads get to my home."
When speaking to Gate Guard Makala, if Benji Makala is dead or Hakewood has not been cleared:
- Gate Guard Makala: "This gate has been sealed to keep out any more undead incursions."
- Gate Guard Makala: "My brother lives in this village, and I take its safety very seriously."
When speaking to Gate Guard Makala after saving Hakewood, if Benji Makala has survived:
- Gate Guard Makala: "I'm not supposed to let anyone through this gate, but you saved my brother's life."
- Gate Guard Makala: "The village of Hakewood is in your debt, and so am I."
When coming into range of Confessor Dorian:
- Confessor Dorian: "As long as I draw breath, the Temple of Tolerance shall not fall."
Randomly during the assault on the Temple of Tolerance:
- Confessor Dorian: "As long as I draw breath, the Temple of Tolerance shall not fall."
- Confessor Dorian: "I never thought I would see this holy place desecrated by such foul creatures."
- Confessor Dorian: "They come at us from all sides!"
- Confessor Dorian: "They will press us until we have killed them all."
- Confessor Dorian: "When they come, we form a circle around the Shrine of Mending, backs to each other."
When speaking to Confessor Dorian after the assault on the Temple of Tolerance.
- Confessor Dorian: "Yes, yes I am already aware of the undead army. When the fort fell under attack, I sent my scribe, Dinas, away with a package."
- Confessor Dorian: "He carries the Scepter of Orr with orders to keep it out of the hands of the undead."
- Confessor Dorian: "I would be indebted if you would locate Dinas and return him to safety."
When coming into range of Dinas.
- Dinas: "HELP!"
When speaking to Dinas.
- Dinas: "Thank the gods you found found[sic] me."
- Dinas: "I know who you are. You're the heroes everyone is talking about!"
- <Party leader>: "That's right, and we're here to escort you back to the Temple of Tolerance."
- Dinas: "We can't go back to the temple. It's swarming with undead."
- <Party leader>: "That's already been taken care of. The temple is safe again."
- Dinas: "Oh, thank the heavens. Confessor Dorian will be very pleased to have the scepter back. Very pleased indeed."
- <Party leader>: "Then let's not keep him waiting."
- Confessor Dorian: "Step forward."
- Confessor Dorian: "You have taken great risk today. Placing yourself bravely in harm's way."
- Confessor Dorian: "In the face of overwhelming odds, you and your comrades chose the hero's path. And for that, I am in your debt."
- Confessor Dorian: "For your service to the White Mantle, it is my great pleasure to induct you into our organization and bestow upon you the title of Knight of the Mantle."
- Confessor Dorian: "Arise, Knight of the Mantle, and join your brothers-in-arms."
- Complete exploration of this area contributes approximately 1.47% to the Tyrian Cartographer title. (This area can be explored without interference by foes after completing the War in Kryta and speaking to Jiaju Tai in Lion's Arch. This only works if you have no Wanted quests in your quest log.)
- If you pull aggro to the Gate Guard and he dies, the gate will automatically open without needing to kill the undead. However, the enemies still need to be cleared if you want to complete the bonus.
- You don't have to stay and protect Dorian to advance the mission. Instead, you can go to the boss near Dinas (either Tree of Renewal or Droog Stoneclub depending on spawn locations) and kill it. This will update the quest log and you will get the message "ADDED: Head to the southwest. Locate Dinas and the Scepter of Orr."
- Unlike other statues of Melandru, the statue of Melandru in this mission doesn't appear differently with Favor of the Gods active.
- In rare cases, a Lynx can spawn on the broken bridge.
- After completing this mission, your party will be taken to Divinity Coast.
- Before the White Mantle were established, this area was called Eastbury Reserve.
- Beside Confessor Dorian are three Jade pillars, as seen in the Iron Mines of Moladune. These could be dormant Jade Armors.