War in Kryta
- This article is about an overview of the War content. For the quest that provides guidance for this content, see The War in Kryta.
War in Kryta is the first storyline of Guild Wars Beyond. It includes a series of one-time quests, exclusive items, and repeatable quests. The events begin with the player as an observer to seemingly minor events and end by the player participating in an epic battle to defend Kryta from invaders.
There are two ways to go through the War in Kryta content: following an overarcing quest or without the quest. Regardless of which route you take your character must have access to both Prophecies and Eye of the North, of which one is required to have been completed. If your character has not completed Eye of the North then either The Missing Vanguard or the now-removed Wintersday Cheer and either The Knowledgeable Asura or Zinn's Task must be completed. The quest-method is quicker as it allows the player to skip some dialogues and encounters; it also directs you through each step. The do-it-yourself method gives the player a richer view of the events leading up to the conclusion. Each method has its own walkthrough:
During the Charr invasion, King Jadon fled the throne, leaving Kryta leaderless and vulnerable. At that point, Saul D'Alessio established the White Mantle in the name of his new-found gods, the Unseen Ones, and led them to victory against the Charr, beginning years of Mantle rule in Kryta. In 1072 AE, Watchman Arad discovered that the king sired an illegitimate child who became a priestess at the Temple of the Ages, Salma, and began pushing to get her to the throne. Their efforts gained the support of the Shining Blade, a rebel faction who oppose the White Mantle's rule. The White Mantle lost their leadership and most of their gods, loosening their grip over Kryta.
Since then, Kryta had been plunged into a civil war. Although the conflict is mainly between the Shining Blade and White Mantle, there are various other warlords who have been attempting to seize control themselves. In 1078 AE, the Shining Blade sought the help of the Asura to find a weapon of power to give them the upper hand in the war, but instead became embroiled in the battle against the Great Destroyer.
- White Mantle
Benevolent and Wise Rulers of Kryta.
A militarized religious order that worship cruel “gods” known as the Unseen Ones, the White Mantle once defended Kryta from the charr hordes. But the saviors became tyrants. The Mantle outlawed the worship of the Old Gods and sacrificed innocent Krytans to the bloodthirsty Unseen Ones, who are actually the Mursaat, a race of sinister spellcasters.
Now, the seeds of rebellion have taken root in Kryta. The defiant Shining Blade challenges the supremacy of the White Mantle. But the Mantle will not willingly ease their grip on Kryta, and those who underestimate the Mantle and their Mursaat masters do so at their own peril!
— official website
- Shining Blade
Rebel Defenders of Kryta.
The Shining Blade are freedom fighters who struggle against the oppressive White Mantle for control of Kryta. Lead by the cunning strategist Bartholos, the Shining Blade support the claim of the rightful heir Princess Salma to the Krytan throne.
From their secret jungle base, the Shining Blade wage a guerilla war against the White Mantle, striking without warning and then vanishing into the wilderness. Every day the cruelty of the White Mantle grows, and every day the ranks of the Shining Blade swell with embittered Krytans and freedom-loving adventurers. The final showdown between the royalist rebels and the cruel White Mantle draws near – and Kryta will be changed forevermore!
— official website
|It has been suggested that this article should be rewritten, because: section looks very chaotic and has an over-use of sections; it could use some improving.|
War in Kryta content is available only to characters who have completed the Prophecies or Eye of the North campaigns. If you have completed Prophecies you must also own the Eye of the North expansion.
Once a character has completed either Prophecies or Eye of the North, different foes will appear in the Kryta regions of Tyria. These foes include:
- Special White Mantle units and bosses.
- Jade constructs, including a new Jade Cloak, who work with the mantle.
- Peacekeepers, menacing thugs and hooligans who were hired from all the lands of Tyria to support the Mantle and seek out members of the Shining Blade and their supporters.
Encounters with Peacekeepers
The hired hands of the Mantle are causing troubles to travelers throughout Kryta and there are a number of encounters available in Kryta.
Once your character has unlocked the new enemies they will also begin to enjoy the assistance of a variety of familiar allies who will appear as you enter many regions of Kryta.
- Shining Blade allies will begin to spawn from the onset of the new content.
- Ebon Falcons will begin to spawn as allies after viewing the Captain Langmar Arrives in Lion's Arch dialogue.
- Courier Falken will begin spawning after viewing the Livia Recruits Zinn dialogue. He does not count as an escort.
One of the following parties will join your party near the portal in every Krytan area except Talmark Wilderness, Scoundrel's Rise, Tears of the Fallen, Twin Serpent Lakes, and Stingray Strand. These allies automatically resurrect if they die.
- Shining Blade Recruit(s) - 1, 2, or 3 will join your party
- / 20 Alari Doubleblade
- / 20 Scout Melthoran
- / 20 Shadow & 20(22) Carlotta
- / 20 Snakebite
Courier Falken will sometimes appear at the portal as you enter North Kryta Province, Nebo Terrace, and Watchtower Coast areas. He does not count as a Shining Blade or Ebon Falcon escort, so you are able to have both in your party. After he spawns, he will run towards a distant portal, aggroing enemies in range as he goes, and causing groups of White Mantle to appear in his path. He will not resurrect if he dies. If you protect him and help him arrive safely at his destination, he will give you a reward.
Explorable area changes
Many of the regions of Kryta change as the character unlocks key portions of the evolving story.
- The Shining Blade Camp
- The camp is permanent, but the NPCs appearing here change as the story progresses.
- This location is where you will encounter the majority of the main dialogues which progress the story of the War in Kryta and unlock new content.
- Other appearances
- Chark will appear in Arbor Bay once you have completed either EotN or the quest Zinn's Task. He will lead you to the Trial of Zinn.
- Lieutenant Thackeray will appear in the Hall of Monuments upon completion of EotN or Wintersday Cheer or A Good Deed, and begin dialogues with Gwen. These dialogues are part of Hearts of the North, but are required for the War in Kryta content.
- Following the dialogues with Gwen, Thackeray will appear in Ice Cliff Chasms, asking for help with a picnic. Completing his task will return him to the Hall of Monuments again, where you witness one more dialogue. After this, and once your character has seen the second dialogue at the Shining Blade Camp, Evennia will appear in the Ice Cliff Chasms with more dialogue.
- Captain Langmar will appear in Lion's Arch Keep after the dialogue with Evennia in Ice Cliff Chasms.
New explorable areas
Several areas are available only to supporters of the revolution. They can be unlocked by watching the appropriate War in Kryta dialogues. (See the flowchart and the walkthrough section of this article for more detail on unlocking content.)
- After watching Livia recruit Zinn
- Lion's Arch Keep — from Lion's Arch; speak to the Lion's Arch Keep Gate Guard.
- Divinity Coast (and Zinn's laboratory) — through the Secret River Passage, near the North East portal in Talmark Wilderness (War in Kryta).
- After Salma takes up residence in Lion's Arch Keep
- Riverside Province — from Sanctum Cay (outpost); speak to Blade Operative Paulina.
- D'Alessio Seaboard — from Lion's Arch; speak to Jiaju Tai (at the docks).
Once you have unlocked Lion's Arch Keep, you can access new quest content.
Wanted / Shining Blade bounty
Wanted by the Shining Blade is a quest series available in Lion's Arch Keep similar to Zaishen Bounties that targets White Mantle and Peacekeeper Bosses. Various gold and collector rewards are available. Speak to Salma to receive the rewards.
Princess Salma offers the following quests once certain Shining Blade bounties are completed (see the quest page for details).
- Riverside Assassination
- A Little Help From Above
- Temple of the Intolerable
- Mustering a Response
- The Battle for Lion's Arch
Collectors and items
The War in Kryta also includes items and collectors otherwise unavailable in Guild Wars.
There are several items exclusive to the War in Kryta:
- Confessor's Orders drop from the White Mantle and Peacekeepers; they can be traded for War Supplies.
- War Supplies, obtained by completing Shining Blade Bounties, by assisting Courier Falken, or from collectors in exchange for Confessor's Orders.
- Medals of Honor are available by completing certain quests or by exchanging War Supplies. They can be exchanged with collectors for Oppressor's Weapons or commemorative War in Kryta Weapons.
- Royal Gifts are similarly available through quests or exchange. When opened, they drop items including some available elsewhere in Guild Wars and also several items exclusive to the War in Kryta:
- 2 miniatures are available as random drops from the White Mantle: Confessor Dorian and Confessor Isaiah
- 1 miniature is available as a random drop from the Peacekeepers: Peacekeeper Enforcer
- 16 unique items are available as random drops from War in Kryta mobs: List of War in Kryta unique items (those not followed by "Commemorative Weapons")
|War Supplies||Master Scout Braden||Lion's Arch (War in Kryta) and Lion's Arch Keep||3 Confessor's Orders|
|Arabel||Shining Blade Camp|
|Medal of Honor||Shining Blade Forager||Lion's Arch (War in Kryta), Lion's Arch Keep and Shining Blade Camp||25 War Supplies|
|Royal Gift||Zadok||Lion's Arch (War in Kryta) and Lion's Arch Keep||15 War Supplies|
|Elder Rabne||Shining Blade Camp|
|Oppressor's Weapon||Lionguard (collector)||Lion's Arch (War in Kryta) and Lion's Arch Keep||10 Medals of Honor|
- The only purchasable content for War in Kryta are the costumes.
- After The Battle for Lion's Arch:
- You can visit Lion's Arch Keep at any time and meet with the collectors there to exchange Confessor's Orders, War Supplies, and Medals of Honor.
- Shining Blade bounties will remain available.
- Kryta returns to its normal spawns, unless you take a bounty — having any Wanted! quest active means that all of Kryta will be as it was during the War, regardless of the target's location.
- Your character will be able to begin the next installment of Guild Wars Beyond, Hearts of the North.
- After completing WiK's required quests, each character will earn 90,000 experience, 17 , 60 War Supplies, 23 Royal Gifts, and 7 Medals of Honor. (One can earn an additional 30 War Supplies by completing the required bounties in hard mode.)
- ArenaNet conducted a marketing campaign in association with the War.
- The multimedia part of the updates began with small pieces of information and clues about the growing conflict between the White Mantle and Shining Blade being released over several weeks. Each new image and piece of information was investigated thoroughly for possible clues as to what the impending update would hold.
- It continued in-game starting with the April 8th, 2010 update and on the official website with reports of the events across Kryta by Murro the Scribe in War Chronicles.
- The game content for the war was released in 10 different game updates: (April 2nd, 8th, 15th, May 6th, 14th, 21st, June 3rd, 10th, 17th, and July 8th, 2010)
- In 2018 Linsey Murdock shared an early War in Kryta document, desribing the beginning of the design.