- This article is about the original quest for Wintersday. For the replacement quest for Hearts of the North, see A Good Deed..
This page contains information about a Guild Wars component or feature that has been removed or replaced.
|Section||Festival Event Quests|
|Campaign||Eye of the North|
|Given by||Lieutenant Thackeray |
in Eye of the North
|Preceded by||Charr-broiled Plans|
Help Lieutenant Keiran Thackeray cheer Gwen up by bringing her something hard to get.
- This quest could only be completed during Wintersday 2008 and 2009.
- Speak with Gwen in the Hall of Monuments.
- Speak with Lieutenant Thackeray in the Eye of the North.
- Speak with Valgar Tempestcrafter, the Norn metallurgist.
- Take the family crest pendant to Lefsi Spiritchaser in Varajar Fells. Don't take Gwen with you.
- Protect Lefsi Spiritchaser while he imbues the pendant.
- Speak with Lieutenant Thackeray.
- Speak with Gwen.
- See Lieutenant Thackeray for your reward.
- 5,000 Experience
- 500 Gold
- 500 Ebon Vanguard Reputation Points
- 5 Mischievous Tonics
- 10 Candy Cane Shards
Completion of this quest gives access to White Jingle Moa and Jingle Bear.
You must not have Gwen in your party, else you will not be able to do this quest.
The gist of this quest is that Lieutenant Thackeray wants to cheer up his friend Gwen, who is a bit melancholy during Wintersday as she is every year since the days of the Searing. To that end, he wants to give her a special gift -- a gift of memories past, of dreams present, and future hopes-- and he needs your help to do it, as he can't truly leave the Eye after being left in charge during the Wintersday festivities.
After speaking with Gwen in the Hall of Monuments in order to find out why she's feeling her own Wintersday blues, Thackeray hits upon the bright idea of the perfect gift: a well-crafted steel pendant of Gwen's family crest. To that end, Thackeray needs you to either map to or walk to Olafstead to speak with Valgar Tempestcrafter, who will make the pendant. Valgar, however, has an even better idea: the pendant needs to be imbued with spirit essence... and the Norn Ritualist Lefsi Spiritchaser is the best to imbue the pendant.
Lefsi can be found almost due east of Olafstead, at the top of a small defensible rise in the deep forest. However, instead of walking and fighting through Varajar Fells all the way to Lefsi, consider starting from Central Transfer Chamber and then walking through Battledepths to the northwestern exit - this way, you will enter Varajar Fells from the southeastern portal, and it will take only a few minutes to reach Lefsi. If you stay close to side of the area that Lefsi is located, you will avoid having to fight most-- if not all-- of the spirits that are triggered when you are on your way to Lefsi's rise/circle of stones. Note that Lefsi is counted as an 'ally', so you can heal him if he starts to get harmed by the attackers. Before speaking to Lefsi, prepare any defenses (spirits, spells, enchantments) -- and get ready to fight.
There are six waves of enemies, each of which spawns immediately after the previous one is defeated, the enemies spawn in three circles to the northwest, west and southwest of the circle, and they will choose to go after Lefsi before going after any of your heroes or henchmen; his death will give you a quest fail, even if you defeat all the other enemies. A quest success, however, will cause Lefsi to bring forth the spirit of Gwen's mother Sarah, who will put a piece of her essence into the pendant to be given to her daughter.
Once back at the Eye, report to Thackeray, then go to the Hall of Monuments and speak to Gwen; she'll be upset when you bring her the pendant, but Thackeray will enter through the gate and explain that it was all his idea; that Gwen is not truly without family now, among the Vanguard. Report to Thackeray in the Eye of the North for your reward.
- 20 Sarah
- 20 (20) Lefsi Spiritchaser
- 19 (29) Grasping Night
- 15 (25) Stalking Night
- 20 (26) Smite Crawler
- 20 (26) Shadow Vaettir
- 15 (25) Mist Vaettir
- 15 (25) Tortured Spirit
- 24 (30) Coldfire Night
- 15 (25) Stalking Night
- Lieutenant Thackeray
While the rest of the soldiers are out here enjoying each other's company, Gwen is secluding herself in the Hall of Monuments. It would mean a lot to me if you could spare a moment to check on her and make sure she's doing alright. No one should be alone this time of year.
Did you need something, [Character Name], or have you just come to check up on me? Wintersday is a time of celebrating with family, and seeing everyone else together just... reminds me of all the people I've lost.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm glad the rest of the Vanguard are having a good time. I just don't want to bring them down because I'm not in the mood to celebrate. It's better for everyone if I keep to myself, okay?
- Lieutenant Thackeray
I see. I understand how she feels. We need to make her understand that she's not alone; that the Ebon Vanguard is her family as well.
I have an idea, but it will take some work and a special kind of gift. If you're up to it, take this sketch of Gwen's emblem to Valgar Tempestcrafter. He's a Norn artisan who recently returned to Olafstead. He'll help if you tell him I sent you. We've worked together in the past.
- Valgar Tempestcrafter
You are a friend of the brave one called Thackeray? That one lived among us for a time. He has a Norn's courage and cunning, even if he has human blood. I am Valgar, shaper of fire-magic and steel. I see Thackeray requires one of my magical pendants, and wishes this emblem on it? The metal crafting won't take long. However, to truly fulfill Thackeray's request, you must take the pendant into Varajar Fells where the shaman Lefsi Spiritchaser communes with the land of the dead. He will imbue it with the power of spirits drawn to this symbol. I warn you, human, this task should not be taken lightly.
- Lefsi Spiritchaser
There have been whispers in the other world, and an echo of your footsteps. You walk the path of destiny tonight, human. I will perform the ritual of spirit-finding for you, but you will need to protect me while I commune with the dead. The gates to the spirit realm are weak this time of year, so be wary. There is no telling what might come through while I hold open the door.
- After talking to Lefsi Spiritchaser
- Lefsi Spiritchaser: "Hear me, Raven!"
- Lefsi Spiritchaser: "We beseech you, oh spirit of trickery and cunning."
- After defeating the second wave
- Lefsi Spiritchaser: "Send us emissary from the lands of the dead."
- After defeating the fourth wave
- Lefsi Spiritchaser: "Imbue this pendant with your spirit to protect its bearer."
- After the final wave is defeated and Sarah arrives
- Lefsi Spiritchaser: "Welcome,spirit, back to the mortal realm. What connection do you have to the sigil on this pendant?"
- Sarah: "The design was for my daughter. I embroidered it on her clothes when she was a child. I can feel that she has been much saddened through hardship and loneliness, and I weep for her."
- Sarah: "I give a piece of my heart to ensure her happiness and give her strength. Tell her that I have never forgotten her, that I will always love her."
- Lefsi Spiritchaser: It is done. The spirits have spoken. Return with this pendant, now imbued with the spirit of family."
- Lieutenant Thackeray
Welcome back! Yes, this pendant will work perfectly. It holds the feeling of true family within the steel now, a love that cannot be severed even by death. Well done, [Character Name]. I think, though...perhaps you should present this gift to her. It may make her uncomfortable to receive something so exquisite from someone whom she hardly knows.
What is this? For me?
- Gwen: "A Wintersday gift...? Wait! This...this is my family's crest."
- Gwen: "What gives you the right to do this?"
- Lieutenant Thackeray: "Peace, Gwen. There's no need to be upset."
- Gwen: "Of course there is! The symbol on this pendant..."
- Lieutenant Thackeray: "Represents both your past and your future. Your memories will always be with you, but you don't have to be trapped in them. Life must go on...and so can you."
- Gwen: "Why? Why go to so much trouble? I...I didn't ask for this!"
- Lieutenant Thackeray: "There was no need to ask, Gwen. Everyone deserves a little happiness, even you."
- Gwen: "A little happiness...? But I..."
- Lieutenant Thackeray: "Wintersday is a time to spend with family. We may all have different blood and different backgrounds, but the Ebon Vanguard is your family. We care about you."
- Gwen: "My family? I don't have a.... No. You're right. I guess I do. Thank you, Lieutenant Thackeray."
- Lieutenant Thackeray: "Please, call me Keiran."
- Gwen (modified standard dialogue)
I'm sorry I was angry, <character name>. This pendant means so much to me. I can feel love in it. My mother's love, and... Thank you! Thank you for everything, my friend.
- Lieutenant Thackeray
She seems so much happier now. That meant a lot to her, and to me. Thank you for the part you played in all this. Consider me your friend, and know that I will do everything I can for her, and for you if you need me. Please, take this small token of my gratitude.
- If Lefsi is killed, the spirits and Sarah still spawn, but the quest cannot be completed.
- There is a chance of a Locked Chest to spawn with the waves. These Locked Chests can hold weapons found in the Underworld.
- This quest prevents Nifling the Chained and the surrounding undead and The Path to Revelations from spawning in Varajar Fells.
- This quest was introduced in Wintersday 2008; in Wintersday 2010, it was renamed to A Good Deed.
- To unlock the Jingle Bear and White Jingle Moa, players must now complete Snowball Dominance.
- The line "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to party like it's 1099," mirrors the lyrics of the song 1999, "Tonight, I'm gonna party like it's 1999".