Skill Charms were one of the mechanics for learning skills, first seen in the Guild Wars World Preview Event, dropped after a couple of Beta Weekend Events, long before the original Guild Wars (Prophecies) release. Each Skill Charm had one specific skill tied to it, they were named: Skill Charm of <Name of Skill>.
There were 3 ways of obtaining Skill Charms:
- Buying them from Skill Charm Vendors who had a limited selection of them,
- Gambling at an Exotic Skill Charm Vendor who paying him showed a random selection of 3 Skill Charms, then you could buy any of them you wanted.
- Crafting by players with the help of a Skill Charm Crafter NPC, players could craft only Skill Charms of skills they already had permanently learned. Materials used in crafting differed for different skills.
- Skill Rings of appropriate profession (found as rare random drops from mobs) were used to permanently learn a skill from a skill charm.
- Charm Necklaces (bought from merchant) were used to learn a skill temporarily - for 24 hours. Regular necklaces could be only used to learn a skill from one of your professions but there were also Expert Charm Necklaces which allowed you to temporarily learn a skill from any profession.