Wintersday 2008 Opens Up the Eye of the North
On behalf of the Ebon Vanguard, I am pleased to extend our invitation to this year's Wintersday celebration. Most of the Vanguard is off-duty to take part in the festivities, so please join us in the Eye of the North as we relax and make merry. It has fallen to me to make sure everyone has a proper good time, a duty that I gladly accept. I just hope no one minds if I have a little fun for myself along the way.
|Friday, December 19th, 2008, Noon||Friday, December 19th, 2008, 8 PM||Start of the event.|
|Thursday, January 1st 2009, 12:01 AM to Friday, January 2nd 2009, 12:01 AM||Thursday, January 1st 2009, 8:01 AM to Friday, January 2nd 2009, 8:01 AM||Finales every 3 hours.|
|Monday, January 5th, 2009, Noon||Monday, January 5th, 2009, 8 PM||End of the event.|
|PST|| UTC / GMT|
(24 hr format)
|6:01 pm|| 02:01|
|9:01 pm|| 05:01|
| 12:01 am
The Wintersday grand finale runs every 3 hours starting at 12:01 am Thursday, January 1, 2009 and ending 12:01 am Friday, January 2, 2009. Finales in Kamadan have a 15 minute delay like they did during Wintersday 2006 and 2007.
The Wintersday Finale is similar to Nine Rings at the Shing Jea Boardwalk but with Candy Cane Shards instead of Festival Tickets. Playing this game counts towards your Lucky and Unlucky title tracks. The center circle gives the most lucky points, whilst the outer circles contribute most to your unlucky title.
At the end of the finale, presents will be put in your inventory, taking up approximately 15 minutes, so be sure to stay logged on that character if you want to receive the presents.
On the final days, the rival gods Grenth and Dwayna called upon the people of the town for their support. The God with the most followers, rewarded the people of the town with a festival hat. Followers of Grenth stood upon the red rings, and the followers of Dwayna upon the green or blue rings. Unlike in previous events, characters will not receive duplicates of hats they already have.
- The victory of Dwayna will give every player a Rudi Mask.
- The victory of Grenth will give every player a Grentch Cap.
|Rudi Mask||Grentch Cap|
- Speak to Lieutenant Thackeray in the Eye of the North to find out how you can help the Ebon Vanguard enjoy Wintersday through a new chain of quests!
- Brand new 8v8 ATS-style Snowball Tournaments!
- You can tame the new Jingle Bear in Gwen's garden if you complete all four of the Eye of the North Wintersday quests.
- Two well-known Wintersday quests are back to let you side with Grenth and his grentches or Dwayna and her snowmen before their final showdown. Unsure which deity to support? Try both quests to pick your favorite!
- Quest chains from past years that involve certain beloved (and rare) holiday-themed animals.
- Two repeatable quests set in the (previously) Secret Lair of the Snowmen. It's your choice: help save the snowmen, and all of Wintersday, or lead a group of grentches on a final "bah, humbug" of the season.
- Venture into the Underworld for a series of repeatable snowball fights against the forces of Grenth or the forces of Dwayna. Take control of piles of presents to win victory for your side in this frosty fray.
- More snowball mayhem in the form of PvP snowball fights! Random forces unite within an arena to fight for either Grenth or Dwayna. The first team to gather five presents for its patron deity wins the day.
- Embrace the old adage "it is better to give than to receive" at the city event game in Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge, Kamadan, and Ascalon City. Deliver presents to the children before the grentches destroy Wintersday. You never know, the little urchins might reward you with something special for your generosity.
- Grandfather Kringle quests
- Elder Skruuj quests
- Quests from the Rift Warden
- Lieutenant Thackeray
- Casey Carpenter
- Kimberly - Lion's Arch
- Candysmith Coldstone - Kamadan
- Candysmith Kris - Lion's Arch
- Candysmith Noel - Ascalon City
- Wintersday Gift Giver
- Winter Dwarf
- Will Brockman - Eye of the North
In addition to the seasonally appropriate headwear that you can receive from Dwayna or Grenth at the end of the grand finale, you can also obtain these Wintersday Items during the 2008 festivities:
|*New* Frosty Summoning Stone: Nobody should be alone on Wintersday, so use this item to summon a Snowman ally!|
|*New* Mischievous Summoning Stone: Summon a Grentch ally to help you spread some holiday cheer, Grenth-style.|
|Frosty Tonic: Don't just build a snowman, be a snowman!|
|*New* Mischievous Tonic: Get in touch with your inner grentch by taking on the outer appearance of one.|
|Wintersday Gift: What surprise will you find inside? Unwrap it to find out.|
|Winter Gift: What surprise will you find inside? Unwrap it to find out.|
|Snowman Summoner: Need an instant snowman? This gift is for you.|
|Eggnog: The holiday season's staple drink.|
|Spiked Eggnog: A more potent glass of 'nog for the hale and hearty. Please imbibe responsibly—don't drink and quest.|
|Wintergreen Candy Cane: The return of the adventurer's favorite candy treat.|
|Peppermint Candy Cane: The max return of the adventurer's favorite candy treat.|
|Rainbow Candy Cane: A different flavor of candy cane that should also make long days of questing more enjoyable.|
|Yuletide Tonic: Drink this tonic if you want to be one of Dwayna's little helpers during the festivities.|
|Globs of Frozen Ectoplasm: You'll need some of this collectible item when you get low on Yuletide Tonic.|
|Fruitcake: Another holiday staple that is sure to put a spring in your step.|
|Candy Cane Shards: Collect these colorful fragments by questing and competing. The outcome of Wintersday could hang in the balance. Besides, you never know what somebody might trade for them, (but you might want to hold onto your shards until the finale, and use them for good…or mischievous…intent).|
|Miniature Polar Bear: Help the Snowmen or Grentches in their two quests and maybe you'll get a little treat at the end!|
|Rudi Mask: Support Dwayna and win this hat in the Wintersday Finale!|
|Grentch Cap: Support Grenth and win this hat in the Wintersday Finale!|
- During the finale, like previous years, many players are trying to make Grenth win in odd districts (1, 3, 5 etc.), and Dwayna win in even districts (2, 4, 6 etc.) This is a practised method players have created to ensure that everyone gets the festival hat they want.
- Unlike previous years, when Wintersday Gifts were dropped on the ground, this year they are automatically added to your inventory. This prevents the lag everyone suffered during last year's festivities and the chance of presents dropping to unreachable places.
- Attending in Lion's Arch during the finale first, and then zoning to Kamadan would get you both hats if your district timings are correct. A good rule of thumb is hang out after the festival in LA for about 4 minutes, then move to the opposite district in Kamadan in order to max out on presents in addition to collecting both hats.
- Your district will miss the event if it was created after the start of the event for that town so make sure you arrive before the due time.
- When the event was over and the NPCs were gone, the Winter Dwarf was still there, without cage.
|Canthan New Year||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|April Fools' Day||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Anniversary Celebration||2nd • 3rd • 4th • 5th • 6th • 7th • 8th • 9th onward|
|Dragon Festival||2006 • 2007 (Redux) • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Wintersday in July||2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Halloween||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 (Redux) • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Wintersday||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 (Redux) • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 onward|
|Other annual events|| Breast Cancer Awareness Month • Lucky Treats Week • Pirate Week |
Special Treats Week • Sweet Treats Week • Wayfarer's Reverie
|One-time only events||Day of the Tengu • Farewell to Gaile|