Spirits are creatures summoned forth by Rangers and Ritualists. These spirits cause certain effects, either directly to foes or across large areas. Two of the same type of spirit cannot be summoned within the same area; if a second spirit is summoned, it will destroy and replace the first spirit. The effects of different kinds of spirits, however, will stack together. If an enemy has summoned a spirit, you can destroy that spirit and remove its effects by attacking it like any normal foe. Additionally, spirits die away after a period of time, dependent on the caster's skill. But be warned: some spirits cause effects when they die or are destroyed.
Spirits are a type of summoned creature that are created by Rituals, certain monster skills, or that appear as a hostile creature during particular missions, quests, or in the Depths of Tyria. In addition, the PvE version of Signet of Spirits creates 3 spirits.
Only two professions have skills that can summon these NPCs: Rangers (through Nature rituals) and Ritualists (through Binding rituals). The only other ritual available to players is the Ebon Vanguard skill, Winds. A small number of foes have specific skills for summoning spirits, such as Kuunavang's Corrupted Dragon Scales.
List of hostile NPCs
|Shing Jea Island|| ? (?) Unbound Spirit
5 (?) Shackled Spirit
|Kaineng City||Shiro's army|| 24 (26) Spirit of Portals
24 (26) Spirit of The Mists
|Realm of Torment||Realm of Torment army||24 (26) Binding Guardian||None|
|Eye of the North|
|Depths of Tyria||Depths of Tyria army|| 22 (26) Spirit of Disenchantment
22 (26) Spirit of Pain
22 (26) Spirit of Recuperation
22 (26) Spirit of Shadowsong
- Spirits only appear as hostile NPCs in the Depths of Tyria or during certain missions or quests.
- Spirit affiliation cannot be directly determined; it is deduced from the context of the spirit's appearance.
- Spirits do not drop any items.
- Attacks deal armor-ignoring damage.
- Immune to enchantments, hexes, the passive effects of other spirits, weapon spells, wards, and all conditions except burning.
- Cannot be targeted by hex or enchantment spells, even if those spells have an initial effect separate to the Hex or Enchantment that would otherwise affect them (Such as Icy Veins)
- Immune to all forms of healing, including Divine Favor.
- Are affected by chant and shout skills unless they specifically state that "Does not affect Spirits."
- Spirits are allies, not party members; they are not affected by party skills such as "Watch Yourself!".
- The minions window (default key: Y) also shows the health of spirits.
- Can be affected by environment effects such as Fount Of Maguuma and Aura of the Bloodstone.
- Are not infused against Spectral Agony.
- Can be affected by knock down.
- Are especially vulnerable to critical hits, since spirits tend to be lower level than their foes.
- They can cause critical hits, but they don't deal extra damage.
- Can attack hidden foes such as Snow Wurms and Stormcloud Incubi.
- Unless specified in its description, the effective radius of passive spirits is roughly 2.7 Danger Zone radii (approximate to Soul Reaping).
- All attack spirit attacks are ranged attacks with no costs or recharge time, an activation time of 2 seconds, and a range of 1.35 Danger Zone radii (the same range as Longbows).
- Two allied spirits of the same type cannot exist within each other's (passive spirit) range; if a second spirit is summoned by any ally within the spirit's range, it will destroy and replace the first spirit, triggering any end effects of those spirits.
- Spirits created outside of the player's range (e.g. created by a distant Hero) will not attack until they are viewed — this can be done by entering radar range or by viewing from the point-of-view of a hero or henchman within its range (while the player's character is dead, clicking on a party member shows the game from their viewpoint).
- Spirits "activated" in this manner will continue to attack regardless of whether or not the player is still viewing that spirit.
All spirits created by rituals have 31 energy (hostile spirits in Hard mode have 41 energy), independent of level and Spawning Power rank, and have four pips of energy regeneration. However, none of their attacks actually use energy.
Health and armor
Skills that specifically interact with spirits
|Armor of Unfeeling||Skill. (10...30...35 seconds.) Your spirits within earshot take 50% less damage and are immune to critical attacks.||5||1||20||CommuningZ||Factions|
|Draw Spirit||Spell. Teleports target allied spirit to your location.||5||¼||5||Z||Factions|
|Essence Strike||Spell. Deals 15...51...60 lightning damage. You gain 1...7...9 Energy if any spirits are within earshot.||5||1||8||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Feast of Souls||Spell. Heals all party members for 50...90...100 for each nearby allied spirit. All nearby allied spirits are destroyed.||10||¼||10||Spawning PowerZ||Factions|
|Gaze from Beyond||Spell. Deals 20...56...65 lightning damage. Inflicts Blindness condition for 2...5...6 seconds if you are within earshot of a spirit.||5||1||10||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Gaze of Fury||Binding Ritual. Destroys a spirit. Creates a level 1...11...14 spirit (30...54...60 second lifespan). Its attacks deal 5...17...20 damage.||10||¾||20||Channeling MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Gaze of Fury (PvP)||Binding Ritual. Destroys an allied spirit. Creates a level 1...8...10 spirit (30...54...60 second lifespan). Its attacks deal 5...17...20 damage.||10||2||20||Channeling MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Ghostly Haste||Enchantment Spell. (5...17...20 seconds.) Spells you cast recharge 25% faster. No effect unless you are within earshot of a spirit.||10||1||20||Spawning PowerZ||Factions|
|Ghostmirror Light||Spell. Heals for 15...75...90. You gain 15...75...90 Health if you are within earshot of a spirit. Cannot self-target.||5||1||3||Restoration MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Lamentation||Hex Spell. Also hexes foes near your target (5...17...20 seconds). Causes -0...2...3 Health degeneration. Initial effect: Deals 10...42...50 damage to these foes if you are within earshot of a spirit or corpse.||10||1||15||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Mend Body and Soul||Spell. Heals for 20...96...115. Removes one condition for each spirit within earshot.||5||¾||3||Restoration MagicZ||Factions|
|Offering of Spirit||Elite Spell. You gain 8...15...17 Energy. You do not sacrifice Health if any spirits are within earshot.||17%||5||¼||15||Channeling MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Painful Bond||Hex Spell. Also hexes foes near your target (10...18...20 seconds). Spirits do 8...18...20 more damage against these foes.||15||1||12||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Purify Soul||Spell. All friendly spirits within earshot gain +1 health regeneration for 3 seconds. All enemy spirits within earshot burn for 3 seconds.||10||1||25||Z||Winds of Change|
|Reclaim Essence||Elite Spell. All of your Spirits die. If a Spirit dies in this way, you gain 5...17...20 Energy and all of your Binding Rituals are recharged.||5||1||30||Spawning PowerZ||Nightfall|
|Rupture Soul||Spell. Destroys target allied spirit. Deals 50...122...140 lightning damage and inflicts Blindness condition (3...10...12 seconds) to nearby foes.||10||¾||5||Spawning PowerZ||Factions|
|Signet of Binding||Signet. You lose 200...80...50 Health. Gain control of target enemy-controlled spirit. 50% failure chance unless Spawning Power 5 or more.||2||15||Spawning PowerZ||Nightfall|
|Signet of Ghostly Might||Elite Signet. (5...17...20 seconds.) All spirits you control within earshot attack 33% faster and deal +5...9...10 damage.||1||15||CommuningZ||Nightfall|
|Signet of Spirits (PvP)||Elite Signet. You gain 3...10...12 Energy. No effect unless you are within earshot of a spirit.||1||20||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Spirit Boon Strike||Spell. Deals 20...56...65 lightning damage. Spirits you control within earshot gain 20...56...65 Health.||5||1||3||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Spirit Burn||Spell. Deals 5...41...50 lightning damage. Inflicts Burning condition (1...4...5 second[s]) if you are within earshot of a spirit.||5||1||6||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Spirit Channeling||Elite Enchantment Spell. (12 seconds.) You have +1...5...6 Energy regeneration. Initial effect: you gain 3...10...12 Energy if you are within earshot of a spirit.||5||1||30||Spawning PowerZ||Factions|
|Spirit Light||Spell. Heals for 60...156...180. You don't sacrifice Health if you are within earshot of any spirits.||17%||5||1||4||Restoration MagicZ||Factions|
|Spirit Light Weapon||Elite Weapon Spell. (10 seconds.) Target ally gains 1...12...15 Health each second. 1...12...15 more healing per second while within earshot of a spirit.||5||1||5||Restoration MagicZ||Factions|
|Spirit Siphon||Spell. The spirit nearest you loses all Energy. You gain 15...43...50% of that Energy.||5||¼||3||Channeling MagicZ||Factions|
|Spirit Siphon (Master Riyo)||Spell. Target spirit loses all Energy. You gain 15...27...30% of that Energy.||5||¼||3||Channeling MagicZ||Bonus Mission Pack|
|Spirit Transfer||Spell. The spirit nearest you loses 5...41...50 Health. Heals target ally for 5 for each point of Health lost.||10||¼||5||Restoration MagicZ||Factions|
|Spirit Walk||Spell. Shadow Step to target Spirit. [sic]||5||¼||8||Z||Factions|
|Spirit to Flesh||Touch Spell. Destroys target touched allied spirit. Heals nearby allies for 30...198...240.||10||¾||15||Spawning PowerZ||Factions|
|Spiritleech Aura||Skill. (5...17...20 seconds.) All of your spirits within earshot deal 5...17...20 less damage and steal 5...17...20 Health when they attack.||5||¼||20||Restoration MagicZ||Eye of the North|
|Summon Spirits||Spell. Spirits you control Shadow Step to your location and gain 60...100 Health.||5||¼||5||Allegiance rankZ||Factions|
- Spirits that appear without being summoned by a player skill can be identified because they can be targeted with skills that affect only spirits. For example, Druids, Binding Guardians, and Banshees can be removed using Gaze of Fury.
- When a player casts a spell to which spirits are immune, it will fail with the message, "Spell failed. Spirits are not affected by this spell."
- Jack Frost is a unique spirit in that it is fleshy, vulnerable to hexes, has more health than a typical level 5 spirit, and has a different naming convention.
- Before spirits die in PvP, they become green triangles on the compass.
- Spirits (including Binding rituals) receive +30% damage only from primary Rangers under the effects of There Can Be Only One and they also receive +30% damage only from Ranger skills used by secondary Rangers under the effects of Amateur Hour, which suggests that the game regards them as primary Rangers.
- When a spirit is first summoned, they always face east.