|Affiliations|| Order of the Sunspears|
|Campaigns|| Nightfall |
Eye of the North
Koss can find a way to get along with just about anyone. He gets along with heroes, doing whatever it takes to help the Sunspears protect Elona. He’s courageous enough to say what others are afraid to say, and he'll do what others are afraid to do. He also gets along with the less respectable representatives of Elonian society. For the good of the Order, he's used a combination of aggressive charisma, physical intimidation, and sympathetic morality to build up a network of informants. Of course, some of those contacts aren't entirely trustworthy, which means his information has a price.
Because of a few questionable deals with informers, Koss doesn't entirely get along with his commanding officers. He's managed to talk his way out of being discharged outright, but his extralegal activities have taken a toll on his career. He's skillful enough in combat that he should be an officer by now, but an officer with contacts in the underworld is a risk the Sunspears can't afford to take. Despite that, he knows their investigations need information, so as a loyal Elonian, he'll keep doing what it takes to save his country... no matter how much of a personal sacrifice that might be.
Koss Dejarin is a Kournan member of the Order of the Sunspears. He grew up in the Dejarin Estate, and is said to have gotten in many fights when younger, often bringing his younger sister Ailonseh Dejarin into the conflicts, and was childhood friends with Kwaju, Kahan, and Melonni. Many of his corsair contacts are also people he knew from his youth. When he decided to join the Sunspears, his father disowned Koss because he suspected joining was an excuse for more brawling.
Zudash forgave Koss after recovering part of the family estate and rescuing Ailonseh. After the defeat of Abaddon, Koss got together with Melonni, and are seen on a Kournan farm during the final Nightfall cinematic.
- Eye of the North
- R indicates that Koss must be in the party
- R indicates that Koss must be in the party
Quests involved in:
- Rally the Recruits (Tutorial)
- Take the Shortcut (Skip Tutorial)
- Into Chahbek Village R
- Signs and Portents R
- Battle Preparations
- Trial by Fire
- The Great Escape
- And a Hero Shall Lead Them
- Drake in a Cage R
- A Little Recon R
- Estate Planning R
- Tendering an Offer R
- The Young Lady Vanishes
- Family Ties R
- Koss Goes Recruiting R
- Drakes on the Plain R
- Attack at the Kodash R
- Heart or Mind: Garden in Danger R
Hero default skills
In the Norn Fighting Tournament
12 Air Magic
- See also: Koss/Armor gallery
Koss starts out with basic warrior armor that is labeled as Sunspear armor. Like most heroes, his headgear is hidden. His armor has +20 armor vs physical damage and an armor rating of 23 to 80, depending on his level.
The appearance of his armor can be upgraded to Elite Sunspear Armor using Stolen Sunspear Armor acquired from the Dajkah Inlet challenge mission. It can also be upgraded to Primeval armor using Primeval Armor Remnants acquired in the Domain of Anguish and during the Ebony Citadel of Mallyx mission.
- Island of Shehkah
- "There aren't enough corsairs in the world to defeat us. Eh, (character name)?"
- The Tribunal
- "Don't sweat it. If the Kournans want a fight, we'll bring it to them."
- Arkjok Ward
- "I'll meet you back at the Command Post in a flash! I have a few things to take care of before then."
- Command Post
- "Ahai, old friend! I stand ready to assist you. I have the most dangerous weapons and the deadliest wit this side of Vabbi. Best of all, I'm entirely genuine and modest, from the tips of my boots to my dashing good looks. You can always rely on me!"
- Throne of Secrets
- "It was my honor to fight by your side, old friend."
- "I think my name makes a fine battle cry. "Koss!" What do you think?"
- "We are lucky to be in this together, my friend. Together, we will go far."
- "All this and brains, too."
- "Life without courage is slavery, and Koss was born free."
- "Where would you be without my help?"
Quotes in the context of the Nightfall storyline:
- "Recruit? All we should have to tell these excavators is that they'll be protected by the great and powerful Koss! That's enough to reassure anyone."
- "War games? Now that's more like it. Praise Balthazar. I was worried we'd get stuck in boring parties discussing complex treaty stuff. Koss is a fighter, not a bookworm! Lead on to General Morgahn and let the games begin!"
- Before accepting the reward:
- "I was hoping Kormir would give us something more challenging after our success at the quarry; something more befitting my... our... prowess."
- Between The Honorable General and Signs and Portents:
- "I like that General Morgahn more and more every coin... day! I mean day! Every day!"
- Signs and Portents:
- "Those old ruins are scary. I used to sneak up there when I was younger. Even as a child, I knew no fear! Just be ready to be creeped out. This place is creepy, mark my words."
- "I told you! I told you... creepy! Plants! Man-eating plants! Gah! We'd better get to Jokanur Diggings and see what we can do to help."
- Between Jokanur Diggings and Isle of the Dead:
- "Melonni did a lot better in there than I'd have thought. I've known her since she was a little girl. Heh. I used to pull her pigtails."
- Isle of the Dead:
- Between Isle of the Dead and Bad Tide Rising:
- "Zaishen? What's a Zaishen? Maybe First Spear Dehvad can explain."
- Bad Tide Rising:
- "Demons! OKAY. [sic] Calm down. Deep breath! If it can bleed, we can kill it... and trust me, I'm just the guy to find out how deep you have to cut to find blood."
- Between Bad Tide Rising and Special Delivery:
- "You know, I'm actually going to miss Kormir. But hey, while she's gone, maybe we can put our feet up and rest a bit. We should go tell First Spear Dehvad to put us on light duty. A Sunspear's work is never done."
- Special Delivery:
- "This guy Jerek's got a chip on his sholulder [sic] the size of Vabbi. Jealous, that's what he is. Jealous of my... our... amazing skills. Who can blame him?"
- Between Special Delivery and Big News, Small Package:
- "This is just getting messier and messier. Lucky for you I'm around to clean up! With my fists!"
- Big News, Small Package:
- "Did Castellan Puuba look a little, I don't know, worried? Well, at least the scenery was good, if you know what I mean. Did you get a look at Tahlkora? Yow!"
- Between Big News, Small Package and Following the Trail:
- "Keep Tahlkora around? That's the first smart thing Jerek's said since he was put in charge."
- Following the Trail:
- "Find the map. Assemble the map. I feel like a blasted librarian. Find corsair. Disassemble corsair... now that's more like it!"
- "The Sunspears have a real problem on their hands. We have to get to the Blacktide Den and warn them!"
- Between Blacktide Den and The Iron Truth:
- "Dressing up as corsairs was a clever idea. Wasn't that great, Melonni? Isn't Tahlkora just the smartest? Even Jerek can't complain about how well that assignment went. Let's go brag."
- The Iron Truth:
- "That Jerek's attitude is really starting to wear on me. Can't he see what General Kahyet tried to do? It's as plain as the big stupid nose on his big stupid face."
- Between The Iron Truth and Trial by Fire:
- "Let's see if Jerek can push this aside as easily as he did the information about the corsairs. We've got him now!"
- Trial by Fire:
- "This will be easy! One look at Koss and the Council of Elders will realize my sterling character and amazing quality! Let me go first!"
- Between Trial by Fire and War Preparations (Recruit Training):
- "Oh, wow. That was bad. Maybe Castellan Puuba has some ideas about how to get the Sunspears out of this mess. Let's head to the Sunspear Great Hall and ask him."
- "Dwayna's Ritual of the Wind. Right. That sounds... easy."
- Between War Preparations (Wind and Water) and War Preparations (Ghost Reconnaissance):
- "I saw Dunkoro talking with Puuba. I think they're planning something. Dunkoro always has the best plans. Kormir relies on him when things get bad. I guess things have gotten bad again."
- War Preparations (Ghost Reconnaissance):
- "Ghosts of dead Sunspears? Uh, I'll be right behind you. And if you come upon the ghost of my grandfather, tell him you haven't seen me."
- "Rally the Sunspears! For Istan!"
- "We've got to get those Sunspears out. Keep your head down. There are Kournan Spotters everywhere."
- "I heard from a Kournan who heard from a trapper who heard from a corsair captain that Rojis has a little corsair blood running through his veins. I don't doubt that one bit."
- "If my brush with death taught me anything, it's the value of of friends and allies. I can't do everything myself. Well, I could, but where's the fun in that?"
- "It's all up to us? Ha! What if old Koss said that when those corsairs were invading? Those Elders need their heads set straight."
- "With Jahai on lockdown, getting to Vabbi won't be easy. It'd be easier to just charge through the Kournan lines."
- "I still don't trust Centaurs. Take my advice. Never take your eyes off people with more feet than hands. Well, I guess grumbling won't help. That Centaur leader isn't rescuing himself."
- "I bet this message was brought in by one of Palawa Joko's ghostly servants, all spooky and mysterious. Boo! I bet that would scare Melonni."
- "The Master of Whispers wants us to fight a WHAT? A demon? Koss, Demon Hunter! I suppose it will look nice on my tombstone."
- "If we don't find Kormir soon, I'm going to start asking unpleasant questions."
- "Everyone knows my blade and my unique fighting style...and I guess you've gained a reputation, too. The Kournan soldiers will recognize us the minute we get there. We need a disguise!"
- "Corsairs aren't known for their patience. We'd better hurry if we're going to catch up to Margrid's friends in Pogahn."
- "You don't think that priestess really knew we were coming, do you? I don't put stock in the supernatural. I guess it can't hurt to follow her for a while. When in Vabbi, eh?"
- "Wait, wait. We only have one invitation? Alright, I guess you'll survive for a night without me. See if you can bring back some rich-people food..."
- "Prince Bokka wants to see us? The Magnificent? Wow, I bet he wants to apologize. Trap? No way."
- "Those Vabbian princes are more cowardly than the Elders in Istan, and that's saying something! This Hidden City of Ahdashim had better be worth all the trouble."
- "That citadel can't stand for long without heroes like you and me! Well... like me, at least. We should go soon!"
- ""The Duology of Lyssa?" Koss doesn't need a book to tell him Lyssa's greatest invention... Women! And my finely sculpted chin."
- "Those princes think we're at their beck and call, don't they? One of those days, I'm going to answer their questions with these two fists. What are they going to do, throw books at me?"
- "The Temple of Lyssa is in danger and Nightfall's here for sure. Let's go show Varesh's troops what real adventures can do, end of the world or not! Look out, demon...here comes Koss!"
- "The Grand Forum of Vabb! By Dwayna, does Varesh have no mercy at all? The entire economy of Vabbi will fall, and everyone will starve. We have to get to the Forum Highlands! Trust me, old friend; I'm right about this one."
- "She won't say anything, but Melonni's nightmares are getting worse and worse. All night, she tosses and turns, whispering terrible things."
- "The rupture is spreading. This is so far out of control; we'd need two of me just to keep up!"
- "I always wanted to cross the Desolation. I thought people would say: "That's Koss! He's not afraid of anything!" Now I just wonder if there will be anyone to say anything when we get back."
- "What are we doing? Komir's gone and Palawa Joko's still out there. Let's get a move on! These people need us!"
- '"This is going to be tough. I hope Dunkoro's got a plan, or it's going to be bang-smash-no more Koss. And then what would the ladies do?"
- "This just gets weirder and weirder."
- "My stomach hurts. Watching those worms get devoured... I'm never going to eat noodles again."
- "Kormir is down here, and she needs us. What luck for her that we fell through that... thingy. We should hurry and find her and let her know everything's going to be all right." [sic]
- "Kormir is going to be waiting for us at the Gate of Fear. She's been here longer than we have, and I'm sure she's got a great plan to take these Margonites down."
- "I'll take on that general single-handed! Sending troops after us when we're not paying attention... that's just cowardly. Is he afraid to face Koss?"
- "Oh, yeah! Sunspears get together and get ready. Abaddon's marshalling his forces; now it's time to rally ours!"
- "Do you think the other gods will hear us all the way down here?"
- "We're almost there. Hold it together. You hear me? Hold it together."
- Nightfall campaign completed:
- "Now that's what I call heroism. They'll make constellations out of us, my friend. Heroes forever."
- "Bring your finest... I will defeat them all!"
- "Fool! You face Koss!"
- "Ha! You missed me!"
- "Have no fear! I will save you!"
- "Here I stand! Get a good glimpse... I will be the last thing you see."
- "I am like a wild beast unchained!"
- "Idiot meet hammer. Hammer, idiot!"
- "I will break you!"
- "I will carve my name upon your skull!"
- "More bodies for my blade!"
- "Remember my name when you see the gods! Tell them Koss sent you!"
- "Tell your ancestors you were defeated by Koss!"
- "This move always impresses Melonni."
- "You can always rely on my strength!"
- "You should pay attention. You might learn something!"
- "You will pay for your folly with blood."
- "Corsair scum!"
in the The Norn Fighting Tournament
- "Hey, look! I'm fighting alone!"
- A duplicate Koss will show up as a "Sunspear Warrior".
- Koss is an old friend of Melonni. The Nightfall storyline unfolds their relationship with each other and with Tahlkora.
- Koss is said to be responsible for training Kihm to fight.
- Koss's Primeval armor resembles the Warrior Vabbian armor.
- His family name is "Dejarin", as revealed in the Dejarin Estate quest chain.
- Although Koss is a warrior, his default shield is a paragon Tribal Shield.
- Koss's build in the Norn Fighting Tournament is a replication of the PvP primer build for Warriors.
- After the completion of the Consulate Docks mission for the first time, Koss will become unavailable until the completion of The Great Escape quest.
- He is the only hero that becomes unavailable despite being unlocked.
- As with all heroes, this one has a tonic form.
- Koss' quote in the Norn Fighting Tournament, "Hey, look! I'm fighting alone!" is a joke that pokes fun at the Sunspear motto, "You never fight alone."